On 3/16/2019 at 3:31 AM, Gisbod said:

Just caught up Alain,

Cracking detail work!

Guy

On 3/16/2019 at 12:50 PM, TorbenD said:

Very nice Alain - looking good!

Torben

Thank you very much!

I worked on the instrument panels this week end, but things did not go as smoothly as planned!

First, I managed to lose the upper part of the front instrument panel. I was tracing the position of the various instruments on the panel sections and suddenly that part was nowhere to be seen and was never found after searching all over the place! No big problem, as it is a simple shape, but not fun. 

Then after I finished punching the openings in the rear panel and starting on the lower front one, I realized did not like the overall look. I felt the openings were a bit too large compared to references. So I redid these sections also and used the next smaller size punch for the holes and the overall look was much better. I added various knobs and details also.

HcL9OgZ.jpg

Now I have to figure out what color to use for the panels. The Finish aircraft has light green panels, but the interior was repainted so this may not be accurate for a Soviet aircraft. All I-16 panels are black so it is logical that these would be black also. There are no photos of UTI-4 cockpits I know of.

I started looking at the front cowl and prop parts, and found the spinner to be quite ill fitting. 

GitixVR.jpg

As you can see, there is way too much space in between the spinner and the cowl so some work will be needed there.

Also the lower intake (left of cowl in photo) sticks out so much that the prop would hit so I shaved off the excess and I will have to hollow the opening.

iUvjsuK.jpg

That's it for tonight!

Alain

• 3 months later...

Wow it's been 4 months since the last update! I've been busy with life but still managed to move forward a bit on different aspects of the build.

I've opened up the prop openings in the spinner so it sits lower in a correct position.

gmyeTuR.jpg

The prop was sanded quite a bit to smooth out the surface. 

bBisAWA.jpg

Funny thing I noticed! I was looking through my Hase. P-12E kit and noticed the prop in the kit looked strangely familiar to the one in the I-16 kit!!!

zupX15U.jpg

Some work in the rear cockpit:

The half round detail corresponds to the foot hold found on the two seater. 

RrtRox8.jpg

I added supports for the landing gear winch and other items.

UrQ9Z8b.jpg

I previously showed the difference between this kit's wheels and the ICM ones.

I decided to copy one ICM wheel for this project. Here's the small silicone mold and one cast set (at top on a sprue) and the originals.

FdTF0C7.jpg

O49GJkL.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Alain

14 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Which publication is this from?

Great to see another update Alan, ICM have just released a type 10, which is tempting...

The image is from " Le Polikarpov I-16", Collection Profils Avions #4.

You can see it in my first post, with the I-16 attacking a He111. A very good reference.

The type 10 is very tempting of course! But my favorite is still the Type 5...

21 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

You probably already know, but just in case you don't, Neomega produce a type 5 conversion for the ICM kit, though the price is eye-watering. 

Thanks, I was aware of it but never looked it up until now. Seems very nice and looks like it is worth every penny (many many of them!).

I will be patient and hope ICM eventually release one...Meanwhile I still have many other projets!

Alain