Hornet vs. Super Hornet?

Bill Cross

I think i'll just stick to the two Trump supers i have, since i'm convinced that spine issue doesn't exist on these two, and looking at (actually the original revell pics) the flat, rectangularish revell spine looks a bit weird to me.

jack

The RAAF do.

Still waiting for the Blue Angels to get E/Fs and for appropriate decals; unfortunately that's at least a year away.

As the instructions include grinding and removal of flash, it's highly unlikely anything has been changed, but I do remain optimistic.

If it follows, and we saw some of the prototype mouldings a year or more ago, the F/A-18F should be a slightly better kit.

Tony 

On 2/8/2019 at 9:53 PM, otis252 said:

Bill, I'd love to follow along as you apply your great skills on the far less then perfect Trumpeter Super Hornet. Give it a go!

Chuck

:rofl: Thanks, Chuck, I'm just a duffer in comparison to most of y'all here.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:42 PM, Michael931080 said:

Ah Bill, go against the grain buddy!  Grow some **lls and build the Super Hornet! ;)

Or just be normal and build want you want to build.  :rolleyes:

I'm not AFRAID of the Super Bug, I just want to know if it's worth the trouble. It sounds like a LOT of grief, and I'm drowning in tears right now having built 3 Italeri kits in a row. The Academy sounds unusual in that IT MIGHT JUST BE FUN (and Ron's build looks fine as a frog's hair).

On 2/9/2019 at 12:57 AM, thierry laurent said:

I would not built a Super Hornet now. The amount of improvement sets is still ridiculously low whereas the arrival of the cheaper Revell kit will surely result in the final arrival of such items. Moreover, the Academy kit will indeed ask for far less work. 

That's a good point to weigh, Thierry. I thought the Trumpy kits had been out quite a while and would have plenty of AM stuff by now. That's interesting as heck.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:03 PM, LSP_Ron said:

What about the new Revell Super Bug?

Hmmm, will wait for you guys to weigh in.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:01 PM, LSP_Ray said:

If someone has, as suggested, the chestnuts to give the Trumpy super a try, I am thinking of selling mine and I have aftermarket: Afterburner Superbug E. Coast CAGS, the rare Superbug cockpit set , and Rhino intakes and wheel set.

What's the price? Someone is selling the Academy Bats USMC version.

Edited by Bill Cross

Well, you have to know if you want to build a Super Hornet or a Legacy Hornet... Having built both, I can tell the Academy kit definitely is the better kit - better detailed and much easier to build (but there are a few areas which require additional work - LERX and rear fuselage sides come to mind). Tons of aftermarket available.

The Trumpeter Super Bug is a ***** to assemble, lacks detail in several areas, is definitely under-engineered but clearly looks the part once finished. It's not 100% accurate but it has no serious issues which cannot be corrected. Quite a bit of aftermarket is available as well and many Legacy Hornet aftermarket parts can be used with a few modifications. If you donÄt want to put some intake covers on, it absolutely needs seamless intakes as the Trumpeter ones are almost impossible to assemble properly. 

The Revell Super Bug is not an option for me as it has serious shape issues in different areas which are almost impossible to correct (which I described somewhere else last year - and no, Revell did not modify the moulds to correct these issues!). It's only raison d'être could be being a donor to spice up the Trumpeter kit. 

I've built a few of Academy's Hornets and I really like them.  It does take a little work like others have said but it is so much more detailed and accurate.  If you decide on the legacy, make sure you build up the landing gear so it doesn't sag over time.  I did a build thread a few years ago on another site that deals with some of the issues you may run into.  If you would like the link I'd be happy to share it with you..

Bryan

3 hours ago, Bill Cross said:

How do I do that? Get AM metal gear?

The G-Factor gear is really nice if you can find it.  I used epoxy glue and super glue to strengthen the gear on my second and it was strong enough to prevent the sagging.  It will become more obvious when you have the kit in hand but there is a metal insert that goes inside the hollow part of the gear legs themselves.  You would think that would do the trick but the metal is a bit soft.  Be sure to glue up that area well along with the attachment point where the legs go into the fuselage and you should be just fine.

The gear legs are a piece of art otherwise.

Bryan

Spine has not been fixed on the Revell kit...it still looks nice but you are going to have to round off the square corners on the turtle deck behind the canopy.

From some angles it does look very flat but it does have a curve on shots from up close.

Revell really overdid the flatness but it looks savable with some heavy duty work with heavy sandpaper.

To me rounding the corners a lot will make it ok.

Its a pity its in such a visible easily seen location.

Take a look through Star Wars Canyon F-18E images as some do look flat and the E has a very different spine to the classic and F directly behind the canopy.

Revell kit is well priced so ill pick one up to compare with my Trumpy one which i think has a spine closer to the classic than an E.