Hornet vs. Super Hornet?

Bill Cross

I've got both, and built both, (I've just started a WIP for a 'c') and I would suggest to go with the Academy set. There's plenty of after market for the Academy sets, but nowhere near as much for the supers, but that said, the trumpeter kit can be built into a very nice kit, there are several on this forum, they just require a lot more work. 

I have the Academy legacy hornet in my stash and have gone through the kit components many times.  It looks like one hell of a nice model kit.  It's a massive project so I need the right motivation to begin work on it, but I'm a huge fan of that kit. 

I can't speak to the Trumpeter offering at all.

2 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

What about the new Revell Super Bug?

No one seems to have posted about the actual production kit yet as it’s just been released.  The test shot buildup that was shown has some definite issues, with the most visible being the very flat top of the spine behind the cockpit.  It does have some nice detail, and the price is much cheaper than the Trumpeter kit, but need to have the actual released kit in hand to weigh the pros and cons against the Trumpeter offering.

From what I’ve seen so far, unless Revell fixed all of the issues, I think the award for the best 1/32 Hornet goes to Academy.

Edited by Dave Williams

I’ve built both kits, the Academy kit has a lot more parts some with a tricky fit, more after market stuff is available for it but it also shines without any of that stuff. It’ll keep you occupied and at the bench longer than the Trumpeter kit and I think has a lot more options for color schemes available ( I’m building an A right now)

From the new(er) Kinetic reboxing of this kit you can build anything from the A to the D version. The Trumpeter E (only one I’ve built) was easier to build out of the box, fewer parts and a quite good fit...just my observations