Israeli shark mouth phantom

alain11

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Fantasy scheme!

Photos are not of the same scheme above, but there was an F-4E that had a Shark Month. Sorry that scheme is incorrect!

26036567_10213212076869662_1723629969_o+

187+AT+IAI+RHS%232.jpg

F-4E+no187+shark+mouth+RHS+repair+at+IAI

Edited by Dave J

No, sorry but this one is a fantasy scheme! 

The one you quoted is noticeably different! Look at the markings. The only similarities are the IAF stars and a sharkmouth that is not even similar. The pictures of your F-4E do not show a Kurnass 2000 but a F-4E (the kit has Kurnass 2000 markings on the fuselage). It was used for testing of a prototype of slatted wings in 1973 and used as such during the Kippur War. This was the only Kurnass who got a sharkmouth. At that time the plane never got unit markings. Your pictures and the CAM markings are correct but the kit has no accurate marking. 

Yes Thierry, you are correct it is different, but it does have a Shark Mouth. I just noticed that my first post is missing some text as I posted from my phone. I just edited my post to include what I thought I typed originally.

Edited by Dave J

As noted, the real sharkmouth Kurnass was a slats testbed, but it had fixed extended slats fitted onto the leading edge of the standard hard wing, as opposed to the movable LE slats of the standard F-4 slatted wing.  Also, I believe that particular aircraft was damaged during its one and only Yom Kippur War sortie, and following repair, was repainted in the normal scheme without the sharkmouth and reassigned to another unit.

28 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I seem to recall reading that they did at least one shark mouth during the 1973 Six Day War to make the bad guys think there were more Phantom squadrons than there actually were.  Or some story to that effect.

Um, the Six Day War was 1967, and the IAF didn’t get their first Phantom after that.  The 1973 war was the Yom Kippur war, which is when this aircraft was used in combat, and it carried the sharkmouth before the war, according to this.

http://edokunscalemodelingpage.blogspot.com/2014/01/israeli-air-force-sharkmouth-f-4e.html

Edited by Dave Williams