RODEN Boeing Stearman 1/32 PT-13 Kaydet - In development!!!

Jan_G

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Great news since I’ve been eyeing the Silver Wings Kit.   Maybe this will open the aftermarket to Super Stearman upgrades and decals. (Really want Red Baron Pizza show plane). 

I could easily see Draw Decals jumping all over this one for some of those schemes. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Roden boxes a Super Stearman in the near future. Have to believe this will sell very, very well.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

A very important aircraft, that's excellent news! Not something I will build, but I know it will be popular and sell very well. 

Keep 'em coming manufacturers! And I'll spare everyone from my list of what I would like to have seen. :)

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

With the Stearman, you'll have to be mindful that the Continental W-670 engine that many came with (I think there were others besides the Continental) may not be indicative of the airframe as it is today.  It depends on what engine Roden provides in the kit.  It'll most likely be the Continental W-670 but after WWII, some Navy versions of the N3N had R-985's installed from the factory.  Having said that, a lot of Stearmans have  had  other engines installed over the years.  For those wishing to create an accurate "Super" Stearman, you may need to alter the airframe just a bit to install a larger engine.  Just be thankful you won't have to fill out FAA form 337 for a major alteration of an airframe to do it...:lol:

The aftermarket community (I'm thinking Vector engines may already have a fitting replacement) will undoubtedly create conversions to make these specialized aircraft should decals/masks become available for these airframes.

We had a Stearman at the A&P school I attended and I got a lot of experience making ribs for the wings and since it had no fabric on any part of it, I got a good look (and touchy-feeley too) at everything under its skin so to speak.  Ours was an old crop duster that had been modified back to the original two seat configuration but could never be made airworthy because of the amount of corrosion within the fuselage frame members (which is a metal tubing box structure with metal formers and stringers affixed to it to provide that circular shape to the fuselage).  We also got a LOT of experience rebuilding the Continental W-670 engines and boy that was a great time (and experience).

For those that may be interested in the equipment and other information that the Boeing Stearman came with (and was allowed to be used by civilian aviation), you can visit the Federal Aviation Administration's website and look up the Type Certificate Data Sheet for the aircraft (you can find TDS's for a lot of WWII (and prior) aircraft there too). View the PDF here.  Just be mindful that this is a civilian aircraft document for an aircraft that was originally used by the military.  So while the specific details may be pertinent, the dates are when the aircraft was certificated for use by general aviation community. 

Edited by Juggernut
clarified fuselage construction shapes and materials

Mine has a Continental, but Lycoming and Jacobs were fitted as standard too. These are pretty much what you find in them now except that some Lycomings are 300Hp and have CSUs fitted and Jacobs are now 275Hp with CSUs normally. Super Stearmans have Pratt & Whitney 450Hp engines and ailerons on the top wings as well sometimes. 

The link is at the top of the framenews page Mike.

Steve

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I didn't see anything about a PT-13  :shrug:

Looks like they took it away  :unsure:

On the Roden website (bottom link above), click through to the new releases page (yellow link at the end of the very first line), then scroll the page most of the way to the bottom. You'll see something that looks like this:

731845965_ScreenShot2019-02-08at4_47_58pm.thumb.png.725ebbc6df067021c31e865793b0d7ca.png

Kev

Well it ain't a Tiger Moth, but it's next on the list, so I'm a happy bunny.  :thumbsup:

Now what about a PT-17 boxing?  Am I correct in saying the only significant difference between the PT-13 and PT-17 was the engine, or is there more to it than that?

Edited by MikeC

7 hours ago, MikeC said:

Well it ain't a Tiger Moth, but it's next on the list, so I'm a happy bunny.  :thumbsup:

Now what about a PT-17 boxing?  Am I correct in saying the only significant difference between the PT-13 and PT-17 was the engine, or is there more to it than that?

From what I read on Wiki, that's about it for the major differences.  I'm sure there was some internal structure differences to support different engines.

But I can see the aftermarket opening up with resin parts for engines, props, spinners, cowls, wheel pants, upper wing mods, decals.  If priced right, I might wind up with more of these than my Phantoms or F-16 stash.  :punk:

Edited by ScottsGT