Something for the Crusader fans

Finn

I was in the Marine Detachment aboard the USS Midway from 1972 to 1974.  Somewhere, I have photos of that Crusader.  The center part of the front wing, (the part that shows when it's raised for takeoffs and landings), is painted red, with two evil-looking eyeballs, and the words "EYES OF THE FLEET" underneath.  I didn't take a lot of photos of the aircraft we had, but thought that one was pretty cool.  -Mike

There is a photo in Ginter's F-8 Crusader Part 2 of RF-8G 145646 of VFP-63 with eyeballs and EYES OF THE FLEET on the forward bulkhead of the wing center section. Pic taken 6-27-70 on the Bonnie Dick. Seen on other aircraft as well.

Edited by TBC

• 1 year later...
On 2/7/2019 at 11:20 PM, sassgrunt said:

I was in the Marine Detachment aboard the USS Midway from 1972 to 1974.  Somewhere, I have photos of that Crusader.  The center part of the front wing, (the part that shows when it's raised for takeoffs and landings), is painted red, with two evil-looking eyeballs, and the words "EYES OF THE FLEET" underneath.  I didn't take a lot of photos of the aircraft we had, but thought that one was pretty cool.  -Mike

You must be referring to an RF-8G from VFP-63....they did this every so often.  Here's a shot of one from the Coral Sea in 1973. cva431973RF-8GVFP-63launch.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 7 February 2019 at 4:52 AM, Finn said:

A F-8 with wing up, folded and flaps down:

Jari

It looks like it's just recovered or moving to the catapult and is on the move, not static, as the outer wings look partly down (or not quite up). Also interesting to see the quite rare AIM-9C SARH version of Sidewinder. Stunning Yoshimura photo — are there any more like that?

The Trumpeter F-8E and J are very fine kits but the nose vent panels do require being made flush, as depicted in the close-up photo you posted above.

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
request for more such photos

Three questions: 

Top photo:  What's with the RBF flag near the Zuni pod?  Is it hooked to something on the plane or is it FOD blowing down the deck?

Middle photo:  Anybody know if the bottom fuselage step on an RF-8 is connected to the landing gear?  If not, you have to wonder why it's still down in this photo when clearly they are about to launch.

Bottom photo:  Anybody know when the Navy starting adding Asian pictograph icons alongside rescue arrows on their planes?  And was it universal throughout the fleet?

Okay, that's four questions.

A couple of answers...or attempts at answers. 

救助 is japanese when spoken says kyujo. (Rescue) Take a look at the JASDF aircraft and you will see the same. More than likely this bird flew out of Atsugi for a good portion of its career. Not fleet standard.

Arming flag (& pin) has not been removed from the aircraft yet. Arming is the last thing you go through before taking the catapult. This aircraft is in "taxi" mode moving forward toward the cat.

Good catch on the lowered crew step. Normally caught and corrected by plane captain or QA before launch. Conjecture..."its a known gripe and it just won't secure to the closed position". If it's combat, a nuisance gripe like that will get repaired next opportunity. It's behind the intake, below the stab, and recce birds have no ordnance...launch! If it were the upper step, might be a different story since it could potentially strike the stab if it came off in flight. Crusader and Corsair guys please correct as required...its only conjecture coming from a hornet guy.

The Kanji you see was painted at the NIPPI repair depot at NAF Atsugi. One of several repair depots used in the western Pacific region. Was still being used up until a few years ago when a gigantic snowstorm on the Kanto Plain caused the hangar to collapse! Most birds repaired during Vietnam have the Kanji...a sure sign that it was repaired there. Has nothing to do with where it was based, but rather repaired. 

As for the RBF tags, that was taken during CVW-2s 65 deployment on Midway. She doesn't have waist cats, so the bird is taxiing forward. Ordnance pins are pulled on the cat, especially forward firing stuff.

-Peter

Edited by easixpedro
I can’t spell or apparently type!