1/32 Trumpeter A-6A Intruder VA-85 SEA scheme

cib2265

After finishing my usual summer double-time work I can finally get to the modelling bench for 2019, and with Eric G's encouragement I'd thought I'd enter this GB.

My entry will be Trumpeter's A-6A Intruder, with an unusual camouflage pattern - not quite SEA, but almost.

Here's the historical texture behind the specific aircraft I want to do, taken from Rick Morgan's A-6 Intruder units of the Vietnam War:

A-6A BuNo 151792/NH 813 of VA-85, USS Kitty  Hawk (CVA-63), 1965 
CVW-11 and CVW-15 both experimented with camouflaged aircraft during their 1965-66 deployments. A number of Intruders from the units were involved, using various patterns of dark and medium green, tan and dark blue.

While they were judged to be fairly effective in keeping aerial threats from seeing the aircraft from above, it was a general consensus that dark paint actually made them more visible from the ground, which was the source of their primary threat. The scheme also made them harder to see on the flightdeck at night. These issues brought an abrupt end to the experiment.

No two aircraft seemed to be exactly alike, with VA-85’s NH 813 featuring a scheme that was very similar to the USAF’s ‘SEA’ paint of two-tone green and tan over standard white undersides. The jet served for a period with VA-42 upon its return to Oceana, before reverting to the standard grey and white scheme. Eventually converted into a KA-6D, BuNo 151792 was stricken in October 1991.

The profile from the book:

h5aWSqLfzsYV01vbrIx89MK1JUfqg-PErVhI4jTx

And the only two reference pictures of it (post VA-85 deployment and now back at VA42 Oceana - notice the different drop tanks) that I've found so far:

t0A5730Jz9x5xMzw1wn85om2j-r48q67Bo7AXOFM

tTCrQxwUD1LgFSMpRV7C35P4hIuAwUZ2cYOcA9gm

I intend on doing this out-of-the-box, or I should clarify, without any aftermarket, apart from some Tamiya/Academy 1/32 pilot figures, as it will be inflight. I'm leaning on the superlative builds here at LSP for clues on how to improve the kit from the box.

Wish me luck, I've never done a jet in 1/32 before...this should be interesting!

I originally found the scheme as a what-if in a video game forum, a RAAF Intruder (i.e leased as an interim strike aircraft while waiting for the F-111 delivery), then google-fuing found this example.

The details out of the box are pretty good - but I've gone down the rabbit hole in terms of accurising. Already started cutting up the MERs to detail them...more to follow when Ive finished that part of the build - I'm doing the weapons/pylons/base first so it's out of the way and done.

3 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Looking forward to the build. But I can't see any images in this thread, only grey circles. Tried viewing on desktop and cell, and same results. Is this just me? 

Nope, same here desktop or phone. Just little gray circles with a white line through them 

thanks chaps, Im doing this way out of sequence, finishing the weapons and pylons first, then the inflight base.

I've got 16 Mk 82 bombs together, need to mold another 6 using Blue Stuff to make a "full" 22 load on four MERs. As Trumpeter only supplies 2 in the kit - but a shedload of other useless weapons for an A-6A loadout - I raided the cupboard and found 2 more in my Trumpeter AV-8B kit, plus 4 Mk 82 slicks (only 12 in the kit, again, disappointed Trumpeter!)

I'm halfway through detailing the first one and will post an update soon, have a 1/48 Tamiya F-14 on the bench that needs clearing first.

First update.

I built the 12 supplied Mk82 slicks in the kit, plus four more. Will try casting the six more required next for total 22. Fins were reshaped to be a lot thinner, plus added texture to the front half with Bondo putty. Fuses to be painted separately:

jCzzui3.jpg

Chicken and egg problem next - I want to detail up the MERs but I needed to work out the proper sway brace locations and see if the weapon pylons inner details were visible (theyre not a flat filled edge with notches for the sway braces as Trumpeter molds them). 

Was easy to modify, just cut away the lip, insert a 2mm wide piece of styrene channel and add various channel/nuts/wire detail inside for 3D effect. Needs some seam cleanup, but I'm more concerned about the piano hinge, Im thinking of either replacing or just carefully adding more cuts in between the molded detail. 
also I cut the panel line straight through on the ends:

3FwJBLr.jpg

I actually started with the separate ejector racks, these hang on the lower portion of the MERs and out of the box are okay. I drilled out underneath, added the lugs that are absent, plus replaced the flat detail with Meng nuts, plus the arming (?) detail on the top. Seven more of these to do! The sway braces will need attention next, Im hoping to replace the cups with some punched discs and the soft nut details.

ml0DZeD.jpg

I've almost finished modifying the first MER, but need to add the arming wires, that will be next update. I'm thinking I should have just bought resin drop in replacements, but this is a good exercise, I've never done this to an aircraft kit before...