Look!! It's a bird...It's a plane... Well... Komplete 18/3/19

Gazzas

HI Everyone,

Inspired by a bit of youtube vid from Cross of Iron, the Sam Peckinpah classic...   I've decided to try to display the legendary mobility of the T-34 with a model.  I started fudging together the base a few days ago.  Including pine and plaster of Paris, the teeny little base weighs almost 2 lbs...  That's .997kg to the metrically inclined.  Here are the first pics:

y4LGrw.jpg

Thanks fer looking!

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

HI again, Everyone!

I spent an obscene amount of time on the resin tracks.  Never again!  Every track pin hole had to be drilled.  Over 300 of them.  Some of the starter holes weren't circular causing the bit to wander.  Half of the links, those without guide horns were so flimsy as to be easily breakable.  Some half a dozen of those were broken in the box.  In the end i had only 3 extra links.  They only cost 10 bucks, where Friuls cost over 50...  so a huge trade-off in money for time.

Here are the results:

bv5w8o.jpg

here, nothing is glued in place.  So, I'll have to add Tamiya Extra Thin to each locating pin where the idler arm connects with the hull, then finagle them around until I get the solution that I like.

rhXaNA.jpg

Here you can see the final positions of all of the wheels though they aren't glued on.  Only the idlers are fixed.  The track has been primed.  The tracks have been shedding pins every time they are removed, or moved around.  Makes the Friul steel wire look pretty good.  They won't sag as nicely as Friuls, either.  Fortunately they way the model will ride the terrain I've created, the tracks will be taut.

Thanks fer looking!

Gaz

Not enough of a tank buff to know, but the new Russian movie T-34 has some great tank action and CGI animations.

I particularly like the sequence where a shell from the T-34 ricochets off the road and rips the belly out of a Panther (I think).

At the moment there are only Youtube and pirate versions available without English subtitles, but in all honesty if you've seen the cliched dialogue in one war movie, you can intelligently guess the gist from the action and the actors' expressions.

Like your approach and animation of your model. It's arresting to see a moment frozen in a diorama.

Edited by Chek

Thank you, Chek!

Did I tell everyone I was doing a winter scene?  I'm in a Stalingrad group build elsewhere, so I needed to find ways to work the white stuff in.  Here are the tracks weathered with snow.   What do you think?

XSpeRM.jpg

Once all of the roadwheels are in place I'll be able to stratecically place extra blobs of snow riding inside the tracks.  My method was to paint areas of the tracks with thinned white glue than the dump bi-carb soda over it which I then swept off.

Thanks for looking,

Gaz

I spent a lot of time on the base, finally to hear from a friend that trying to keep the snow in it's natural white was my biggest problem.  I reckon it'll take a few more years to get a snow base right.  But here I am today:

52063658_600538413746237_185525494505852

52602912_600538550412890_136515916466959

52464348_600538607079551_416900453809258

The repeated attemots to get it right meant that my steppe grass collected a lot of snow.  I guess on some days that that would be a normal situation.

Cheers!

Gaz

Hi everyone,

Not a lot of time for models this week.  We have a kitchen renovation coming up as well as tiling the entire common areas of the house excluding the toilets and bathrooms...  so, we've been ripping up carpet and packing boxes.  Still, I've donated a little time towards this baby.

53063638_604224276710984_706531119007478

The Tamiya turret after some modification was added to the Dragon hull.  I added cast numbers and made even nastier weld seams.

52932110_604224313377647_937314326736273

Rust streaking and snow was added to the underside.

52596402_604224343377644_513821286247222

Snow was added in places to the roadwheels drive sprocket and idler wheel, too.

52886998_604224360044309_805269066638530

Here you can clearly see the casting numbers on the turret.  I shaved the part numbers off some spprues and affixed them to the turret side with some Tamiya Extra Thin...  the glue of champions!  A little of the turret texture I added with Mr. Surfacer is also visible.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Thank you, Fellas!

Joe,

Once you take the armor plunge, you'll discover that good single tracks look better than anything molded by either Tamiya or Dragon unless you are building a Sherman.  Shermans had no track sag and were always kept taut by the suspension system.

Gaz