ZM Ki-45 Toryu (Nick)

b757captain

I have to know, how did you get that soft edge to the dark green faded into the 3rd color? Up close i can see the soft egde that loks like a blend of the 2 main camo colors. What a paint job!

Edited by themongoose

On 2/3/2019 at 11:35 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, terrific! I can't wait to get my copy

Thanks Brian! You will love it!

On 2/4/2019 at 12:50 AM, Jan_G said:

Great build Mark! And I personally like this camo better than the overal green :)

jan

Thanks Jan! I'm nowhere near your skill level for sure, yours is looking fantastic too. The short nose version has some interesting paint schemes too, can't wait to try that.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:05 PM, JT68 said:

Outstanding work Mark!

That paintwork on the camo is just brilliant.

Beautifully done!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff!

On 2/4/2019 at 4:10 PM, EricF said:

Excellent job !!!

Just brillant !

Cheer's

Eric

Thanks Eric!

On 2/4/2019 at 7:19 PM, Bill Cross said:

Mark-San, very good. とても良い。どうもありがとうございます。

Thanks Bill! Otsukaresama desu

On 2/5/2019 at 6:36 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

Lovely work, Mark!

Kev

Thanks Kev!

On 2/5/2019 at 7:28 AM, Lud13 said:

Top model...love the scheme!!!

Thanks Lud!

On 2/5/2019 at 11:34 AM, dennismcc said:

Absolutely outstanding, that camouflage is amazing, was it done freehand ?

Cheers

Dennis

On 2/5/2019 at 6:51 PM, themongoose said:

I have to know, how did you get that soft edge to the dark green faded into the 3rd color? Up close i can see the soft egde that loks like a blend of the 2 main camo colors. What a paint job!

Thanks guys!

The camo scheme was painted freehand. First I did the overall gray for the undersides, then freehanded the topsides base coat of light gray/RLM02 mix. The instructions call the color Cement Gray, giving the Vallejo paint code 71045 to be used for the topside and underside but the photos in the instructions seemed to show a different shade for the upper. I went to the internet where (again!) no consensus was reached but quite a few indicated that the upper gray had a light olive tint by mixing in RLM02. After that I started freehanding the green (lozenges? blobs?). I used my Tamiya airbrush with the air pressure turned down so far I couldn't read the pressure in the gauge - I just test sprayed until I got the lightest and finest pattern I could, and thinned the heck out of the paint so it flowed well with minimum spatter.

Next came my secret weapon! As I have advanced in age I have started suffering from the usual maladies, one being my near vision sucks without using cheaters. I have found that if I double up (wear two pair simultaneously) the strongest (+3.00) cheaters I can get really close to the surface and also have a great magnification effect. So I spent about 4 hours total - with breaks in between - with the surface about 9 inches or so away and just advanced my way across with the green. That way I could see up close as I was feathering the edges and could get a good soft demarcation along the color boundaries. 

The hardest part was trying to maintain a fairly consistent yet random green blob size while keeping consistent spacing for the underlying color "ribbon". Several times I had to stop because it's easy to get in a hurry. After I finished I celebrated with an adult beverage or two!

Cheers,

Mark