ZM Ki-45 Toryu (Nick)

b757captain

Hi guys,

Well, here she (he?) is! I picked up the kit in Tokyo right after they were available and, uncharacteristically for me, I decided I just had to build it. I gotta say, what a fantastic kit! The engineering, molding, detail and fit is superb. I only had two areas that, due to operator error (me :P) I had to trim a little for fit, otherwise it falls together with no fuss, no drama. The kit comes with duplicate parts trees for the fuselage, wing and nacelle components in both clear and gray plastic. I opted to use the gray - supposedly by buying a few extra sprues another aircraft could be built from the leftover parts but I'm not going there in this post. I only found one boo-boo - the wingtip nav light lenses in the clear sprue are molded frosted, whereas I think they probably should have been clear (I know, that obviously renders the kit unbuildable :fight: but I pressed on and - voila! :yahoo:). Disclaimer: that was a joke :D.

I did a little interwebs research before applying paint for the interior/cockpit color and found every opinion under the sun! The range seemed to narrow from light brown or khaki through various shades of green to black. Well, that narrowed it down! Of course I'm trying to lock down the color researching on my phone while I'm standing in front of the paint rack at the hobby store (where all the paints are labeled in Japanese!), but there seemed to be a favored consensus of Khaki Green. Hey, there's a bottle right there! (Mr. Color 54). Of course, right next to it is Khaki and I didn't discover until I got home that I liked khaki better. Darn. Not really interested in a return 2 hour train ride, so I just used the KG. There's another Nick being built in the WIP section and you can really see the difference. I should have used Khaki, but too late now! The rest of the paint is a mix of Tamiya and Mr. Color, the exterior undersides are an eyeball approximation mixed starting from IJN Gray and the topsides are IJN gray shaded with RLM02, The green is RLM83. I did some subtle weathering but as usual, my photography can't seem to show that very well.

Decals are from the kit, and a note here. The kit offers two build/marking options. I wanted the early version with separate exhausts and open rear cockpit but the color scheme for that one is overall dark green. I wanted the camo (lizard? salamander? Gorn? Godzilla?) scheme, so I went ahead and did that. Okay, enough talking, on the the pics:

TMNYMwW.jpg

I5OYiTJ.jpg

aGdQUIv.jpg

aZGFMBE.jpg

33rnFfZ.jpg

xRIIPDS.jpg

More images to follow,

Cheers,

Mark san

On 2/3/2019 at 9:28 PM, MikeMaben said:

Wow !  Super cammo Mark   :clap2:

Nice work.

Thanks Mike!

On 2/3/2019 at 10:02 PM, The Dude said:

Looks good! I like the colors and finish.  :thumbsup: I can't wait to get a hold of one or 2 of these.

Thanks Dude!

On 2/3/2019 at 10:10 PM, LSP_Ray said:

Nice! Great job on the lizard/Godzilla/whatever camo!

:clap2::clap2::goodjob::clap2::clap2:

Thanks Ray! I'm thinking the scheme resembles Godzilla with varicose veins :blink: