Models for a Movie

Greg W

Steps two and three ended up being a entire evening's worth of work. This little assembly has over fifty tiny, delicate parts requiring a lot of time to clean up the molding seam lines.

jy0X2fe.jpg

fSugmls.jpg

KAYQkPu.jpg

WDMxR2c.jpg

SEoa88n.jpg

OCLskhR.jpg

The strip of styrene on the bottom of one of the leaf springs is covering up some saw blade marks I inadvertently chewed into the part while removing it from the sprue. 

Edited by GDW

In order to make the wheels positionable, I drilled through the tie rod ends and where they mount, with a No. 71 drill bit and cut four lengths of .025 steel wire to act as the pivot points.

oOz5gsG.jpg

Wg29TfE.jpg

Edited by GDW

Now I needed to do something to keep the pins from dropping out of the tie rod ends. I drilled some holes in thin plastic sheet using the No. 71 drill bit. The holes were centered in the number two position of my Waldron punch and die set and punched out. This gave me a cap to mount on each end of the wire. A drop of thin super glue on the outside of each styrene disc fixed the wire in place after assembly.

9XCeIu0.jpg

kR029F7.jpg

olLpIRF.jpg

nC8XKvg.jpg

Edited by GDW

16 hours ago, Neo said:

Some really great work there. 

The tires story is really weird. Maybe early vs new boxing?

Keep up the good work

I don't know what is going on there. I saw what looked to me like a current, up to date, in box review of the Italeri kit on YouTube and that had the same old plastic tires like the kit I have. I thought maybe the vinyl tires were just left out of the box by mistake but apparently not. 

In order to adapt the Italeri flat bed and crane to the Trumpeter chassis, the Trumpeter frame had to be lengthened by 1/4". Lengths of the Italeri frame 1/4" long were cut and sectioned in, reinforced by plastic sheet tabs which helped align the extensions and add some strength to the splice. 

fOrEl70.jpg

h0Q7U9P.jpg

A metal straight edge was used to align the frame as the glue started to set. Then, the model was set aside to dry with the freshly glued section supported by some sanding sticks in order to prevent it from sagging.

AUb37VU.jpg

After the Tamiya extra thin cement dried, the spliced sections were sanded. The gaps filled with super glue and sanded immediately after being treated with accelerator. 

dPUJzEq.jpg

Now it was time to test fit the tires and double check the clearance with the new additions to the chassis, which includes the base for the self unloading crane on the back.

clNp9qv.jpg

IYfJTXr.jpg

0WOfUFR.jpg

s3Qb4h1.jpg

TUErtml.jpg

Edited by GDW

In this next group of photos, you can see the Italeri cargo bed glued to the Trumpeter frame. The flat bed was badly warped, with a pronounced twist, requiring me to use hot tap water to straighten it out. I glued the box sides on and placed some weight on the assembly while the glue dried. Still, there was a enough of a twist to send me back to the kitchen sink and use hot water again. Needless to say, I was very happy to find that the cargo bed frame fit perfectly, like it was made to go there. 

AemWF4E.jpg

IJpx7My.jpg

OpP7pWj.jpg

sSd7ZX8.jpg

ejRjUn3.jpg

LsSWvei.jpg

c6COTuj.jpg

8 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Very cool. I've got a base Trumpy HEMTT at home to build, as I really do love the 4 x 4 x 4 look.    Great work so far! 

I think you will enjoy building it. I would love to see you paint and weather yours. When you say "base" Trumpeter HEMTT, what do you mean?