Models for a Movie

Greg W

16 minutes ago, dodgem37 said:

Great! show!  Paint coatings are as smooth as I've ever seen.  Anti-reflective coating is a real eye catcher.  Did the taillight lenses and housings come as a single red clear or are the lenses  inserts, for they do look sharp?  Love your scratch building.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks! All of the models on this post had clear plastic lenses that you drop into the light housing. I airbrushed Tamiya clear red (X-27) or orange (X-26) on the back of each lens. The grey paint is a 1:1 mix of Tamiya Flat White and Sky Grey, thinned 60:40 paint to thinner, which is 99% alcohol. I spray this at 15 psi using a Badger 150 airbrush. 

That is pretty darn cool! I took part once in an online modeling competition for AFVs being held by a gaming company. Besides the prizes they handed out, they also selected several peoples models to use as skins for vehicles in their game. Kind of opposite to what you are doing: they had the shapes constructed digitally, they wanted the camo and markings! They used two of my kits; I had to buy the game, it was pretty cool to see your model tooling around their scenery. (It was a real time wargaming game.)

On 3/2/2019 at 1:24 PM, LSP_Ray said:

That is pretty darn cool! I took part once in an online modeling competition for AFVs being held by a gaming company. Besides the prizes they handed out, they also selected several peoples models to use as skins for vehicles in their game. Kind of opposite to what you are doing: they had the shapes constructed digitally, they wanted the camo and markings! They used two of my kits; I had to buy the game, it was pretty cool to see your model tooling around their scenery. (It was a real time wargaming game.)

I like the fact that the game designers wanted your models in order to mimic the paint schemes and markings. That is a tremendous boost to get that kind of interest in something you've made! Just like you purchased the game to see the final result, I want to bring home the movie and watch how the models have been transformed and look on screen. The movie is still a few months away from being finished though.

Edited by GDW

• 1 month later...

Alright, another completed model for Dan. The 1/16 Tamiya M1A2, static display version, which is the RC kit without the motor and electronic stuff. It does retain the working suspension along with metal and rubber tracks that are pre assembled. The lower hull is made of aluminum while the rest of the parts are a combination of ABS and polystyrene. 

The 1/16 upper hull next to a 1/35 M1...

N2TXDKQ.jpg

Many of the grab handles and other details are molded right to the hull and turret. Seems like a scaled up version of the 1/48 scale M1A2. I replaced the details that I thought needed it, a few looked good as they were.

2uPIEUt.jpg

6Sg2uq3.jpg

1yVzN31.jpg

7Xu169e.jpg

FCmDVcn.jpg

rBVGoES.jpg

Edited by GDW

I boxed in the front of the lower hull with sheet styrene.

1ETp0Vy.jpg

Q5ICci3.jpg

s584eov.jpg

LeSRw3P.jpg

The kit does include some photoetch. The screen for the turret basket is very nice and so are the ones on the engine deck.

aqd3V23.jpg

Edited by GDW

Because the tank will be photographed with the turret hatches open, Dan asked me to make some interior details so that that the turret does not look empty. His instructions were just to simulate the main things that can be seen and not worry about recreating a complete interior. The angle that the images will be taken from is quite shallow so the turret floor was not represented at all. Yes, there is lots of gizmology and liberties taken but the overall layout is simulated. Looking through the hatches when the turret is assembled, it looks busy enough for the needs of the photoshoot. 

wqKLUA6.jpg

4jwsXQW.jpg

QIYjTr0.jpg

Rvp0BxS.jpg

HwNcDPM.jpg

9JpUbQH.jpg

vlLrZwE.jpg

Edited by GDW

12 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Love it!  What is your reference for the M1 interior?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark, I grabbed some great images online, combined with a fantastic book by Sabot Publications. Here is a picture of the cover...

E6AdLAG.jpg

• 2 weeks later...