1/32 F-4J Phantom (Complete)

gmctaggart

Finally, major painting is done. Tape is off and I can see what the results are. Some paint touch ups for ripped paint and over spray as well as picking out the finer details is next. My next worry is whether the paint will hold up to the application of the dry transfer. Some initial work in this regard has not been promising. Perhaps after a few coats of clear over everything it will harden up the paint surface allow me to apply the markings. Time to tread lightly but until then here are some pics of the results so far.

LpBKUX.jpg

Z96tTh.jpg

ASB1bk.jpg

rJUW7u.jpg

gIGU4s.jpg

1zMzyS.jpg

UyidFy.jpg

UuFCqJ.jpg

GMnElC.jpg

aDcO03.jpg

JdJra9.jpg

mlSEq3.jpg

Thanks everyone for reading and your words of encouragement.

Gord

Looks amazing. 

I feel you for the ripped paint I just had this issue on my bf-109 in multiple section of the camo.. form what I gathered is was mostly due to finger grease on the plastic prior to primer. The rear was to random to be anything else. 

I really like your multicolor basing on the top side really gives an interesting waethering effect

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. Neo, Your probably right, I had washed the model before building nut perhaps needed to do a more thorough job. It has made the process very frustrating. 

So a quick update. After being sick for a couple of weeks and other holiday commitments it has put me against the wall. I have been able to address the paint rips and started using the dry transfer. I was really looking forward to using these but after applying a few markings realized this was not going to work. The larger graphics seemed to work the best and I was able to apply these without issue. However the smaller ones created the problem. Parts of them would not transfer over and so I would continue to apply more pressure and keeping rubbing them to no avail. They would then pucker the paint underneath or the paint would adhere to the transfer sheet and rip. Realizing that this wasn't going to work, I changed horses and went back to building up the kit with the Tamiya decals. So far this has been fine however some of these have cracked or ripped on me. Needless to say, with 5 days before the end, I am on a knife edge between completing the kit and disaster should something not work out. I am hoping to have the decals finished up in the next day so I can do a clear coat, final assembly.and weathering. Fingeres crossed.

cbxWDM.jpg

YWdyiS.jpg

jFA40M.jpg

Thanks again for everyones support.

Gord