1:24 Trumpeter Ju87 D5 fuselage length

Andrea Ferrari

17 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

Im sure there was an extensive post comparing Trumpeter and Hasegawa Stukas here several years ago where dimensionally Trumpeter was found after much normal bashing to be more accurate..

Searched to no avail...

Are there any reputable plans verified to compare with?

Darren, I think this photo with the Hasegawa 1/32 fuselage overlaid settles it.

IMG-2984.jpg

The Hasegawa looks pretty close to the actual, and the Trumpy 1/24 kit looks to be a overlong in this scaled photo comparison with the Hasegawa.

IMG-2976.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2019 at 1:09 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Hmm, that's an odd one. When I click on the link you posted, I just get a 404 (not found) error on Google's end. Not sure what's happening there!

Kev

no pics i m sfraid...

On 3/13/2019 at 11:47 PM, hayaman said:

this worked indeed-if you want my opinion the spine of your model "doesn t fit",it looks peculiarly long from the back of the interior to the vert stab-is that a P47 wing in the foreground?

That was indeed the subject of my original post - yes, after eight pages of replies and discussion we've come to the inescapable conclusion that the rear fuselage of the Trumpeter 1:24 Ju87 D is about 3cm too long. This inexcusable mistake - scaled down - also applies to their 1:32 kit. You can see more pics of the finished kit in the "Articles" section of this forum. And yes, that's my 1:24 P-47 "Phyl Darlin'" wing in the foreground.

Edited by Andrea Ferrari

3 cm, so 22.5mm in 1/32nd scale. Ouch!

I never had a look at the Trumpy D/G as I already had the Hasegawa kits but thought they globally looked OK. It really looks like we should not always believe our eyes!

Thanks for the detection of the problem as this IS a major error.

I am amazed to see so many Stuka kits have so different fuselages lengths as a similar discussion occured years ago about the length of the Revell Bertha!

On 2/1/2019 at 11:33 PM, Andrea Ferrari said:

The overall length is usually listed as 37 ft. 8-3/4 in. If I am not mistaken, in 1:24 scale that would be almost exactly 22 in., or 55.9 cm. 

You are mistaken!  37 ft 8-3/4 in = 452.75 inches. That equals 18.8 inches in 1/24th scale so the Trumpeter kit is too long.

6 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

You are mistaken!  37 ft 8-3/4 in = 452.75 inches. That equals 18.8 inches in 1/24th scale so the Trumpeter kit is too long.

But that is exactly what I wrote - this whole post is about the sad fact that the Trumpeter kit is too long :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

3 cm, so 22.5mm in 1/32nd scale. Ouch!

I never had a look at the Trumpy D/G as I already had the Hasegawa kits but thought they globally looked OK. It really looks like we should not always believe our eyes!

Thanks for the detection of the problem as this IS a major error.

I am amazed to see so many Stuka kits have so different fuselages lengths as a similar discussion occured years ago about the length of the Revell Bertha!

Sadly I realised it only AFTER having completed my kit! I cannot believe how Trumpeter could make such a grotesque mistake :BANGHEAD2:

Now I'll have to find a way to correct my upcoming G-2 Kanonenvogel without making a mess...

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps.....the trumpeter kit is larger than 24th......we know there is a difference in length vs. Airfix....I compared the kit outer wing sections. The theory was I could use the outer wings to create a G1. The airfix outer wing is much narrower in chord. It was not even close. Either trumpeter is to large or airfix kit is to small.