1:24 Trumpeter Ju87 D5 fuselage length

Andrea Ferrari

I looked up 3+ different references and got at least 3 different dimensions from 11.0m to 11.5m. I think the kit looks good to me  I do not see how a compare with an Airfix B kit (with 2 tail struts?) to the Trumpeter D/G kit works. Bottom line it looks like a Stuka to me. Thanks, Mike Krizan 

O. K, last thought about the Trumpeter Stuka. What is really stupid on this kit is the wing tip extensions on the     D 5. As installed there is about 3 to 5 degrees of washin  from the end of kit wing moulding to end of wing tip.  MK

8 hours ago, hanna said:

I looked up 3+ different references and got at least 3 different dimensions from 11.0m to 11.5m. I think the kit looks good to me  I do not see how a compare with an Airfix B kit (with 2 tail struts?) to the Trumpeter D/G kit works. Bottom line it looks like a Stuka to me. Thanks, Mike Krizan 

Fully agree on the wingtip extensions, but I can live with that - just one of the many mistakes in the kit, and there are worse ones which however can be corrected or minimised with a little work.

The strut attachment points are the same in both versions, so that is the reference point for measuring. But just put the two kits side by side and look - with a total length of 55cm/22 inches the Trumpeter D-5 is 9cm/3,5 inches longer than the Airfix B-2, which is 46cm/18 inches. That is a lot! All measurements are perforce approximate as having been taken on built-up kits, but even taking into account the D-5 slightly longer nose, the Trumpeter kit is much longer than the Airfix one, and doesn't really look right compared to the latter about its rear fuselage. I have also created a new image in my album showing the fuselages of both unbuilt kits close to each other.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zJ78qH5M6ErfwHpt9

Sorry if I am being repetitive or sound obsessive - I am just offering these facts and trying to understand the reasons for them, as the Trumpeter kit is quite expensive and I do not want to repeat the same mistake (provided I actually made one) in the future building the tank-busting G-2. 

Edited by Andrea Ferrari

13 hours ago, Mark P said:

Agree with the above. We need to see a comparison photo of the Airfix and Trumpeter fuselage side by side to make a determination and see exactly where the problem is, if one is identified.

Mark Proulx 

Why are we comparing kits with kits?

doesnt anyone know the dimensions of the real aircraft?

3 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Why are we comparing kits with kits?

doesnt anyone know the dimensions of the real aircraft?

The only surviving Ju87 D-5 is at RAF Hendon, but I don't know if anybody has ever actually and reliably measured it. Sources vary (slightly) regarding the Ju87 D-5 total length which is recognised by most to be 11 meters,  but in any case the rear fuselage of the D appears to be the same length as in the B and R versions in all profiles. However most if not all Ju87 D-5 in 1:32 show a noticeably shorter rear fuselage (relative to scale of course) than the 1:24 Trumpeter kit (even Trumpeter's own 1:32 Ju87 D-5!). So the only possible comparison model-wise in the same scale is with the 1:24 Airfix kit...

Edited by Andrea Ferrari

3 minutes ago, Markjames1968 said:

still no useable evidence at all that the trumpeter kit is wrong...….

the fuselage from the point of the wing TE to the point of the tail

strut centre , should be the same on both kits, the photographs we have had so far are neither use nor ornament.....

That's the best I can offer, sorry. I then suggest you go out, buy both kits, build them and then compare them to each other yourself :D. Let us know what your conclusions are, please!

1 hour ago, Markjames1968 said:

I have one of them, the other is not at my local shop yet so will indeed when i can...….BUT the onus isn't on me as a reader of the post  to prove it, the onus is on the OP to offer evidence of his assertions before accusing things of being incorrect …

I am not accusing things of being incorrect, I am just stating hard facts measured by tape on my two completed models: 

the Airfix kit is 46cm long, the Trumpeter kit is 55cm long (a difference of 9cm)

the Airfix rear fuselage is 14cm long, the Trumpeter rear fuselage is almost 19cm long (a difference of 5cm)

I am looking for an informed explanation for this severe discrepancy - possibly by a better modeller and more informed historian than I am - and I will be extremely happy to get a sensible one since I have put a lot of hard work in my Trumpeter kit. If somebody can prove that the Airfix kit is wrong and that the Trumpeter one is correct, that's fine with me...But until that is proven, I am also telling those interested in the Trumpeter kit that one might have to undertake some serious plastic surgery if the completed model has to conform to most published profiles and information on the subject.

Here's an explanation, If you work from a photograph to do your CAD drawing you are probably not taking into account the parallax that ocurrs from a side view taken with a convex lens. So consequently it will be too long or too short depending on the lens. That's assuming the image they are working to is dead side on invariably they're not.

There is no way they would have sent someone to measure up an actual aircraft which is a big deal for Trumpeter to do. That would mean letting somebody out of the workshop with the risk they may never return.

Graham 

Edited by GrahamF
Typo

Thanks - that would make sense and confirm Trumpeter got it wrong, and why. What I still do not understand is why they did not simply take into account the commonly available plans and profiles, and how this could happen since they simply scaled-up their 1:32 Ju87 D-5, which I do not have but which everybody says is the correct length...

If Trumpeter won't send someone to drag a tape measure over a subject, why don't they ask (maybe on here) for pictures, info etc? If the authorities fear internet contact, what have they got against receiving sufficient snail mail from people like us to initiate the completion of a correct model? OK, I don't have (say) a Douglas Devastator  to hand, but if someone  out here has, then maybe a model of it will appear one day, and be accurate first time too.

Why do these guys spend money getting it wrong?

1 hour ago, Ossington 1 said:

If Trumpeter won't send someone to drag a tape measure over a subject, why don't they ask (maybe on here) for pictures, info etc? If the authorities fear internet contact, what have they got against receiving sufficient snail mail from people like us to initiate the completion of a correct model? OK, I don't have (say) a Douglas Devastator  to hand, but if someone  out here has, then maybe a model of it will appear one day, and be accurate first time too.

Why do these guys spend money getting it wrong?

Exactly my thoughts Ossington :BANGHEAD2:...maybe because they know we'll buy their stuff anyway and they don't really care? 

3 minutes ago, Andrea Ferrari said:

Exactly my thoughts Ossington :BANGHEAD2:...maybe because they know we'll buy their stuff anyway and they don't really care? 

It's not that at all they just think they do it best. It's a cultural thing.