Wolf Buddee

Calling on Tiger 1 experten!

An odd request for "Large Scale Planes" but I know we have some Armor modelers here too.........so I thought I'd ask.

I've tried searching on line for images of the driver's and radio operator/gunner's hatch periscopes. While I found great photos of the periscopes inside the hatches I haven't found any showing how high they protrude up through the hatch within their protective shield. The kit supplied periscopes barely protrude above the top of the hatch or turret roof. As they are, I can't imagine they'd be of any use, so I'm hoping someone has a reference photo that'll show what I need. I found a set of tinted vision blocks by AFV for their Tiger 1 kit so I'd like to install them at the correct height.

HatchHoles4.gif

http://tiger1.info/EN/Hull-crew-hatches.html

Hi Wolf,

I'm more a dilettante, but this David Byrden guy is by most, the acknowledged expert on the Tiger to be found online.  I've linked to his site which has more drawings, photos, and info.

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas
tytpo

Thanks Gaz,

I was on his site before but didn't think to look for this particular detail. It confirms my suspicion though, that without modification, the upper end of the periscope is too short on both the kit supplied items and the clear tinted accessory set from AFV.

Cheers,

Wolf

44 minutes ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Thanks Gaz,

I was on his site before but didn't think to look for this particular detail. It confirms my suspicion though, that without modification, the upper end of the periscope is too short on both the kit supplied items and the clear tinted accessory set from AFV.

Cheers,

Wolf

His site can be a little tricky in that it's hard to find things, at times.  I thought it was me...lol   

Gaz

Interesting question. I'm going to assume that the 'scope extended to slightly below the guard, but not touching it. I've already went through three of my Tiger reference books for you (and I have a ton of Tiger books), but have yet to find anything definitive.

26 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Interesting question. I'm going to assume that the 'scope extended to slightly below the guard, but not touching it. I've already went through three of my Tiger reference books for you (and I have a ton of Tiger books), but have yet to find anything definitive.

Yes, I'm assuming as well that it didn't touch the underside of the guard. I'm going to extend the length of the periscope so the whole lens is exposed and the top of the scope sits just below the guard.

Thanks for lookin' Kev2!

Cheers,

Wolf

His site can be a little tricky in that it's hard to find things, at times.  I thought it was me...lol   

Gaz

I also found that I couldn't open the pics any larger than the thumbnails so I imagine You have to be a member of his site to see any of 'em in a larger format.

Cheers,

Wolf

1 hour ago, Wolf Buddee said:

I also found that I couldn't open the pics any larger than the thumbnails so I imagine You have to be a member of his site to see any of 'em in a larger format.

Cheers,

Wolf

I've never found that to occur when I visit, and I am not a member. Maybe they only reveal their full glory to us armor heads.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Here's the best photo that I've found so far, and fairly well illustrates the 'scope extending well up into the guard.

xIfHzm.jpg

I love it when a great photo illustrates the tiny detail we seek.  Happens way too rarely.

Gaz

On 2/1/2019 at 8:53 PM, Gazzas said:

HatchHoles4.gif

http://tiger1.info/EN/Hull-crew-hatches.html

Hi Wolf,

I'm more a dilettante, but this David Byrden guy is by most, the acknowledged expert on the Tiger to be found online.  I've linked to his site which has more drawings, photos, and info.

Gaz

what he said

David hangs out at Missing-Lynx if you want to ask Tiger questions

no-one knows more about the technical details of the Tiger than him

21 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Here's the best photo that I've found so far, and fairly well illustrates the 'scope extending well up into the guard.

xIfHzm.jpg

Thank-you very much Kevin! 

I think this photo is about as good as you could ask for. Perfect!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Ringleheim,

I actually had watched this video in my search for answers. Unfortunately the periscopes are missing from the driver's and radio operator/gunner's hatches. Only the brackets that secure the periscopes still remain so it's impossible to tell how far the periscopes extended up in to their guards. K2's photo showed exactly what I needed to know.

.........now if only I can get the wash and weathering applied to all the wheels I'll be able to move past where I'm at now. <_<

Cheers,

Wolf

I noted with interest that the cross section drawing of the 'scope and guard, shows the periscope actually touching the bottom of the guard, but I really don't believe that to be the case. The biggest problem I have with this somewhat unique problem, is that whenever the hatches are open, the guard and 'scope are in shadow. That's why I haven't been able to find any better photos (yet).