Ki-45 question

Dave Williams

4 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Yep, from all indications on the ZM side, production kits will come with it:

img_097b-pop_ki45kai.jpg

I’ve seen that, but the production kits seem to be different than what’s implied by that graphic.  It suggests that there will be only be two releases: a short nose, covering options 1 and 2, and a long nose covering options 3-6.  It looks like they decided to make three releases, and this first release is a long nose for options 5 and 6.  The other two releases are likely to be the early long nose, options 3 and 4, with the rear gun and exhaust ring engine outlets, and the short nose, for options 1 and 2.  The released kit also says it’s 560 parts, not 422.  Given the changes, I wasn’t sure if the first release still contained the parts for rear gun, since neither decal option has it.

• 2 weeks later...

Having the kit now, it appears that most, of not all, of the parts for all of the long nose options 3-6 are in the box.  The kit as it comes has decals and instructions for options 5 and 6.

Option 4 is basically option 5 with the rear machine gun installed and single outlet exhausts.  The instructions have you install the magazine racks, but omit the actual magazines, and the gun.  Both the gun and the extra magazines are on the sprues.  Parts and instructions are included for both the single outlet exhausts and the individual “thrust” type exhausts, so that’s not an issue.

Option 3 is Option 4 without the oblique guns, antenna mast moved forward, and a 20mm belly cannon.  The kit has an extra center cockpit cover without the oblique cannon ports and a more forward mounting hole for the antenna mast.  The kit also has the 20mm belly cannon on the sprues.  The trapezoidal fuel tank fuel tank that would have previously been in the area where the oblique cannons were placed appears to be on the J sprue.

The kit doesn’t have any short nose parts, so options 1 and 2 will have to wait for a later release.

Edited by Dave Williams

Thanks for the update on the possibilities Dave.  I haven't much reference material on the Nick but some of the material I do have may show some of these other options....  If that proves true, I may be able to make some "one-off" decals for markings that aren't available (yet).  I do like the night fighter versions though as well as the body ramming version (Japanese term eludes me at the moment).  Like many of us, I like marking options and while the two included in the kit are nice, I'd prefer something a little more "off-the-beaten-trail".

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

You don’t have any short nose parts, so options 1 and 2 will have to wait for later release.

I think Im going to wait for option #2, the Kai Hei short nose version with the protruding 37mm canon.