Zoukei Mura Ki-45 up for preorder at SB

Juggernut

7 minutes ago, Bill Cross said:

Says "in stock" now. Looks like a winner.

Haha I saw that too!   But it appears its still not going to ship till the 6th

• This kit will be released on February 6, 2019
  • Your order will ship on February 6, 2019

Im ordering one as soon as Im able! 

A friend picked one up in Japan a couple of weeks ago and is already building.  He said that the kit is packed with sprus and once he started building it that it needs a "ton of cleaning up."  Lots of ejector pins in some really tough-to-get-to spots. On par with the 335 and 229, but an average kit.  The best part is you can build any long nose variant from the box and it comes with all the parts in grey (duplicates of the clear).

2 minutes ago, Bravo52 said:

A friend picked one up in Japan a couple of weeks ago and is already building.  He said that the kit is packed with sprus and once he started building it that it needs a "ton of cleaning up."  Lots of ejector pins in some really tough-to-get-to spots. On par with the 335 and 229, but an average kit.  The best part is you can build any long nose variant from the box and it comes with all the parts in grey (duplicates of the clear).

Jan Gabauer is making great progress with his in the forums:

Kev

4 hours ago, Bravo52 said:

An “average kit”...you better hope your mate doesnt buy and try to build any Italeri, Revell or anything thats not Tamiya if he thinks this is average...lol...a look at Jan’s build will be very clear how good it is out of box..

3 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

An “average kit”...you better hope your mate doesnt buy and try to build any Italeri, Revell or anything thats not Tamiya if he thinks this is average...lol...a look at Jan’s build will be very clear how good it is out of box..

You’re close Darren.  He’s an amazing modeler so I’m sure our definitions of “average” vary a bit.  

9 hours ago, Bravo52 said:

Not sure what the expectation for above "average" would be, but I've got mine to the decal and finishing stage and have to say it approaches Tamiya level engineering and fit. I had to trim maybe two pieces for fit and had basically no flash. Not sure where any of the ejector pin issues were, I don't remember having a problem. I'm nowhere near JanG level of skill but look for mine in the RFI section in a few days.

Mark 

15 hours ago, b757captain said:

Not sure what the expectation for above "average" would be...

So you're saying the kit has fit issues... :)  See where this goes?  So if Tamiya is "above average" then does that make everything else just average or below average?  I think it's semantics really.  

I have the ZM 229 kit and I think it's great.  I'm glad its part of my collection. My problem is I'm just an average modeler so any kit that is better than an Airfix kit is lost on my skills.  

I look forward to seeing your Ki 45 when its done.

Edited by Bravo52

15 hours ago, Bravo52 said:

So you're saying the kit has fit issues... :)  See where this goes?  So if Tamiya is "above average" then does that make everything else just average or below average?  I think it's semantics really.  

I have the ZM 229 kit and I think it's great.  I'm glad its part of my collection. My problem is I'm just an average modeler so any kit that is better than an Airfix kit is lost on my skills.  

I look forward to seeing your Ki 45 when its done.

Not saying the kit has fit issues at all. I found two areas: one nacelle side tab didn't fit well into it's slot but that can most likely be attributed to operator (assembler :rolleyes:) error on my part. Second was the instrument panel glareshield, which Jan also mentioned he had to trim the part to fit. I think I have figured out why and will check it against the remaining fuselage parts I have (the clear ones). Again it may be an error on my part. My comparison of ZM to Tamiya comes from my experience with Tamiya parts fit, which (IMHO!) can have tolerances which are so tight that the parts will not fit if pre-painted. Far cry from some other manufacturers where we have grown to assume that open panels will need to be shimmed to fit closed, etc.

I have the ZM Ho229 also, though I have not yet started on it, as well as all the other ZM kits, some in multiples. Every one I have built has been a joy. 

6 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

FYI, I got an e-mail from Volks-USA saying they will be shipping pre-orders about Oct. 6! 

Oct.?? Holy moly!! :o

Cheers,

Mark