first and last built..

airscale

14 hours ago, Chek said:

"...Saunders-Roe SR73. Bought for 2/6 each at Woolworths and I butchered them all! :o   For a good few years afterwards I believed that the SR73 (sic) was a then-current front-line RAF fighter".

33065925428_fa9b40535d_b.jpg

(from the RAF Yearbook, 1976. Yes it's an SR177 not SR53, but same thing near as dammit)

My first aged 6 was the original Airfix Spitfire, a Santa present at a kids' Christmas Party at Waddington around 1960. My dad buiilt it that evening, and the following morning my mum nearly had conniptions after I caked it in about a quarter inch of bright green and brown poster paint camo. In retrospect, it would have likely flaked or washed off anyway, but apparently I'd ruined it and I think it went in the bin before all the paint rubbed off on anything it touched, as I can't recall anything about it after that. It probably looked better in camo than light blue plastic, but I might be biased.

My last completion was the Rareplanes KC-97L in an Illinois ANG scheme, livened up with dayglo nose wing and fin trim, patterned after a snazzy looking C-97 photo I'd seen.

Great stuff there Chek!

Airfix Spitfire to Rareplanes KC-97L? Respect!  That's some skillset you have there.

2 hours ago, Padraic Conway said:

Great stuff there Chek!

Airfix Spitfire to Rareplanes KC-97L? Respect!  That's some skillset you have there.

It was a challenging build (the KC-97, not the Spitfire) sure enough, but not so much of one as the Contrail XB-70 where I learned how to ensure sharp, clean straight edges with single strand phone wire and cyano on the fins, wings, intakes and exhaust barn at the back end.

Hi all!

I Really can´t remember exactly what kit I built as my very first, but it was probably something that came in a cornflakes box!

But Airfix series one was a staple since I was five and when I could afford it, or as gifts at birthdays and Christmas, the larger, boxed kits.

During the -60´s and -70´s I must have built my way trough the whole Airfix-catalog.

I grew up in Airfix-territory with the occasional Matchbox, Frog and Revell, never saw any Monogram, AMT, Hasegawa or Lindberg until much later.

Tamiya was an unreachable dream for many years, until I made my own money (no, not THAT way!)

But the OLDEST surviving kit I have is this little Fiat G.91 Gina, Airfix series one;

40335259021_ac7eb719b9_z.jpg

Airfix Messerschmitt Me262A-1a;

39438059385_62a572a9d4_z.jpg

…and Airfix series one Sopwith Camel;

40290330732_76fec69382_z.jpg

…and this is my most recent kit, the AMK 1/48 MiG-31 Foxhound;

46513509911_518f0d60b2_c.jpg

46513509841_9e5042663f_c.jpg

44722511110_b7e571c691_c.jpg

Greetings!

Stefan

Edited by Phantom2

Cool!  That is why I have never yet, and dont really ever intend to update or re-do any of my previously built models; I like to see how far my skills have come!  I think its cool to look at older models, and think how far Ive come. 

I had quite a few really older ones like that, but most of them burnt up in a fire at my parents house about 10 or 12 years ago. I did manage to save a small 1/72nd scale Testors Bearcat (with fully *actual* smoke tinted canopy and paint)  and a couple other models after the fire that didnt seem to get too hot, but just melted a bit.    Interesting to see others first models too! 

Strange, but I do remember my first kit. It was Russian made Mi-2 helicopter, probably by Krugozor factory. Don't remember much about it, I was just 7 or 8 and my dad did most of the work. He never built plastic models but got me deep into it. I switched to flying models (F2B and F1A) soon after and continued till high school graduation.

Apparently no pictures of that Mi-2 left as nobody cared to take one.

As for latest one, here it is, 1/48 KH Su-34:

47116350_2303471183056388_20664258469140

4 hours ago, Phantom2 said:

Hi all!

…and Airfix series one Sopwith Camel;

40290330732_76fec69382_z.jpg

Greetings!

Stefan

OMG...  Can't believe you rigged that thing!  When I was a kid, I never rigged anything!  Bravo!

Gaz

31 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

OMG...  Can't believe you rigged that thing!  When I was a kid, I never rigged anything!  Bravo!

Gaz

Thanks Gaz!

My very first attempt at rigging....

Actually, It´didn´t look took too shabby 35 years ago, but It have sagged during the years.

Stefan :)

Well, no pictures, but first one the very first "in-box-scale" Revell F8U Crusader (glued together by my father using this yellowish glue to mend shoes.....) and the last the combat models F7F Tigercat (or was it the combat Kingfisher, i can't remember, must be the age, duh.....)

Growing up where I did, you couldn't really not get in to military aviation, born and raised in one of the main low fly training areas in the UK, intact born in the town that gave the Mach loop its name and lived in a small village 4 miles outside it on one of the legs of the route. Anyway, I digress, I remember having a number of kits bought from the local newsagents in town, mainly Airfix and Matchbox stuff these though were put together by adults like my Dad and Grandfather, no paints, decals right on the kit plastic. 2 that stick in the memory are a garish Yellow 1/72 Tigermoth, and the 1/48 Matchbox A-1E Skyraider which to me at an early age seemed huge, I'm often tempted to pick one up for a nostalgia build. First one I was trusted to build on my own was a Spitfire, I cant remember the Mark but it was Airfix and the Fuselage was moulded in black and wings in Grey. First I was allowed to let fly at with paint was a Gulf War boxing starter set of a Tornado Gr.1 and yes, Sharkmouth decals. Good old Humbrol paints and Glue in the White tube that had a unique smell to it that I missed when they switched to the yellow and blue tubes. Many others were built after those. Very amateurishly. I only really started to take it seriously when I came back to the hobby in my Mid Twenties.