first and last built..

airscale

One of the threads got me thinking about how far we have come in terms of kits and prompted me to think about the first kit I ever built and how that might compare with todays kits and what the last kit I built..

..my first was a NOVO Lancaster in 1/96 scale I won at a pass the parcel game at someone's birthday when I was about 7..

19_zpsmq0rj3tt.jpg

no oil canning on that as far as I recall :ph34r:

my last actual kit built was an HpH Sea Hornet - well I say built, thats an over statement for as far as I got, perhaps actually it was the Hobbycraft Sea Fury, I actually finished that..

What was your first and last?

Peter

Good topic Peter.........

My first was a 1/72nd scale Monogram Tigercat. After seeing the one my brother did in the mid 70s that lingered in my room after he moved out, I was in love.

My last was/is the HKM Do-335. Quite a dramatic difference in scale, size, complexity, detail, fit and just about anything else you can think of.

Airfix IL28

Mine was the Airfix Iyushin IL28 jet bomber, I was in the Cub scouts for a while in Germany when my dad was posted there in the Army, and one of the tasks set was build a kit and bring it in, I remember the slight panic at the time as I had never built one, I built this kit and got my Dad to paint it [ naughty] trouble was he was a trained tradesman and painter as well! and did too good a job my Scout Leader asked who painted it? "I did" I lied!

I now have this kit again and another in a later box which I intend to complete, I still think that the IL 28 is a very attractive aircraft much better looking than the Canberra and I just love that artwork it looks so accurate in shape.

After doing this I somehow got the bug and within a few months I was tackling  the big 1:24 the scale kits, little realising that this would eventually lead me on to becoming an Industrial Modelmaker.

My last kit was in fact my own hurriedly put together in the midst of casting kits for the show at Telford last year.

Graham

Iconicair Supermarine Attacker

Edited by GrahamF
Image wasn't showing/what happened to preview?

Just now, LSP_K2 said:

I really have no idea at all what my first was, probably something Hawk, Aurora or Airfix in 1:72 scale, but my last was the Hasegawa 1:32 N1K George.

Same,  I've been building since I was about 5 years old. I don't have a clue what was my first build was or if it was even a airplane. Back then if it stuck together with glue I built it but I was a huge 18 wheeler fan back then so I built a lot of those. until I was about 10

I do recall and old 1/25 AMT bulldozer kit from back then and just bought another last month for the stash as a nostalgia thing.

First was the iconic Airfix 1/72 Spitfire, 1/6d from Woolies in Melksham and that was in 1956! Latest the Dragon/AIMS Bf110G4, 1/32 of course. Huge differences in scale, complexity, accuracy and not least, price! Both though great fun and very enjoyable. 

9 hours ago, GrahamF said:

I still think that the IL 28 is a very attractive aircraft much better looking than the Canberra ...

Torches ... Light!  Slope ... Pitchforks!  Mob, right turn, quick march! :D  Mind you, I have to confess that I prefer the fighter-canopy versions, and the B-57 is a really logical and pleasing  layout.  And the Beagle is certainly a good-looking aeroplane.

Meanwhile, back on topic: My first was the Airfix 1:72 Bristol 192 helicopter, which I received from my aunt one Christmas in the mid sixties.  I remember asking my mother, who had been a WAAF, which way round the fin flashes should go, so I can honestly say I did research from a primary source on my very first model.  I was very proud of that, lack of paint, huge gaps, glue marks and all.

Latest: Revell Hunter F6 in the markings of 111 Sqn, the Black Arrows.

Edited by MikeC

Great thread! The first I can recall building myself was the FROG Spitfire Ia QV@K from the 'Battle of Britain' double set with the JU88A in the same box. My Dad helped me paint the Spitfire (I cant recall what happened to the JU88), complete with camo and a gloss red spinner. That particular boxing is worth big £££ now!

Other rarities that I wish I hadn't got my 10 year-old hands on at about the same time were the Airfix SRN Hovercraft, their 1/72 Hawker P1127 and their Saunders-Roe SR73. Bought for 2/6 each at Woolworths and I butchered them all! :o   For a good few years afterwards I believed that the SR73 was a then-current front-line RAF fighter. :wacko:

Most recent completion would be the Planet Models He 1077 Julia in 1/48.

Modelling has come a long way in that timeframe. We are so fortunate to have the choice and quality of the products we can now access.

"...Saunders-Roe SR73. Bought for 2/6 each at Woolworths and I butchered them all! :o   For a good few years afterwards I believed that the SR73 (sic) was a then-current front-line RAF fighter".

33065925428_fa9b40535d_b.jpg

(from the RAF Yearbook, 1976. Yes it's an SR177 not SR53, but same thing near as dammit)

My first aged 6 was the original Airfix Spitfire, a Santa present at a kids' Christmas Party at Waddington around 1960. My dad buiilt it that evening, and the following morning my mum nearly had conniptions after I caked it in about a quarter inch of bright green and brown poster paint camo. In retrospect, it would have likely flaked or washed off anyway, but apparently I'd ruined it and I think it went in the bin before all the paint rubbed off on anything it touched, as I can't recall anything about it after that. It probably looked better in camo than light blue plastic, but I might be biased.

My last completion was the Rareplanes KC-97L in an Illinois ANG scheme, livened up with dayglo nose wing and fin trim, patterned after a snazzy looking C-97 photo I'd seen.

Edited by Chek
added photo