Is a 1/16 Tamiya Sheridan good news for LSP fans?

cbk57

Tamiya USA blog has dropped the list of new stuff for the Nuremberg Toy fair.  I am left feeling optimistic for a new 1/32 LSP in May.  Normally Tamiya likes to have a big splash kit for the May hobby show in Shizuoka in May.  At Nuremberg they are announcing a 1/16 Sheridan kit, a 1/24 Ford GT which is not new news but still important, a 1/24 Toyota LeMands Winner, which is important to Japan as the second Japanese car to win overall at LM, and a 1/72 BF-109G6.  I don’t think we would see the Sheridan now if they did not have something big for May.

We all new that a 1/72 G6 was coming, now it is official.  Tamiya has dropped a lot of big releases in all categories at Nuremberg, I only highlighted plastic.  I feel the decks are clear for a major announcement now latter in the year.  A 1/32 G6 would be logical based upon the 1/72 and 1/48 releases but who knows.  We will see how things go.  I will be watching everything I can find for clues and hopefully we will start getting some leaks before May.  In the recent past there have been some leaks so I expect we will have some idea what is coming prior to May maybe in April.  Anyway I hope I am not raising false hopes for us all but, I am kind of excited about the spectrum of releases at Nuremberg because of how much importance Tamiya places on Shizuoka.  If Tamiya did not have a big pipeline for 2019, I don’t think we would be seeing these announced now, or we would see fewer releases now.  

I always try to look at the big picture with Tamiya.  If you look at them too narrowly you miss their perspective as they serve the entire scale modeling community not just tanks or planes.  Right now though I am optimistic that they have something big coming.  Of course maybe it is a 1/350 MIssouri or something but I am leaning toward wings and 1/32.

I can’t imagine that Tamiya is sitting over there in Japan blissfully unware that by releasing a 1/48 109g, and then a 1/72 109g at a lesser hobby show they are wetting the appetite for a 1/32 109g.  I feel like we are seeing something significant and maybe some leading indicators that we have not seen in the last few years regarding a new 1/32 release.

Edited by cbk57

18 minutes ago, RNoAF said:

I would love a report from this years Toy Fair!! Any good news for us big scale modellers?

I have been looking for a comprehensive report, I don’t suspect there is a lot of 1/32 at Nuremberg as we have had recent major announcements from ZM, WNW, Airfix and some of our other favorites.  Unless Hasegawa comes along with a new LSP, I am hoping for a Tamiya release announced at the next show.  I feel like looking strictly at Tamiya though that there is reason for hope that we will see a all new new LSP this year.    

I’m not sure Tamiya releasing a 1/16 M551 has any meaning for a new 1/32 release.  They’ve released a number of tanks in 1/16 scale, and they are usually motorized, and sometimes remote controlled, so it’s logical they would release a big version of their new 1/35 kit, which seems to be a pretty popular release.  Even if they never release another 1/32 aircraft, I’ll bet they still release 1/16 armor.

For 1/32, I wish Tamiya would at least finish out their previous 1/32 kit lines before coming out with something new.  Still waiting for/wanting the fighter Mossie and two-seat F-16, which should be relatively quick and easy.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Not tamiya but trumpeter has announced a new 1/32 A-6A.

Mike

New GRU-5 seats and new decals ?¿

I would expect that the 1/16 Sheridan is the new Tamiya biggie this year. They recently did a new tool of the 1/35 offering.

If there is to be a new 1/32 aircraft tooling I'm hoping it's an F-14A Tomcat.

Tony 

6 hours ago, Scotsman said:

I wonder what's new about it  apart from Decals?

I hadn't even realized they'd ever done a 1:16 Sheridan, I care so little about the tank. Now if Tamiya were to announce a 1:16 JS-2 or JSU-152, I'd be thrilled to pieces. That new GT looks outstanding, far better than the Revell example.

19 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I hadn't even realized they'd ever done a 1:16 Sheridan, I care so little about the tank. Now if Tamiya were to announce a 1:16 JS-2 or JSU-152, I'd be thrilled to pieces. That new GT looks outstanding, far better than the Revell example.

The Sheridan is a new tool ... I think the decals bit was referring to the comment about the 'new' A-6A Intruder from Trumpeter?

I agree - I'd rather they'd picked a different subject ... Like a Pz.Kpfw.III or StuG.III ... when that chassis finally gets released in 1/16 I'll be all over it!!

In relation to the OP ... I don't think Tamiya doing (or not-doing) anything now will have any bearing on what is done in the future ... 

I've been hoping for a while that they'd upscale their Mk.1 Spit or their Bf.109G-6 ...

... But we've seen nothing in 1/32 for quite some time and rumour has it that they've taken a breather in that scale.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

1 hour ago, Artful69 said:

But we've seen nothing in 1/32 for quite some time and rumour has it that they've taken a breather in that scale.

Agree with this in full, that rumor was out there.  I am reading into the scope of the Nuremberg releases and reaching an opinion that they have a large pipeline of new product for 2019.  I am also extrapolating that they normally have a major announcement for the may Shizuoka show.  So I am optimistic that the announcement could be an LSP.

1 hour ago, Artful69 said:

The Sheridan is a new tool ... I think the decals bit was referring to the comment about the 'new' A-6A Intruder from Trumpeter?

I agree - I'd rather they'd picked a different subject ... Like a Pz.Kpfw.III or StuG.III ... when that chassis finally gets released in 1/16 I'll be all over it!!

In relation to the OP ... I don't think Tamiya doing (or not-doing) anything now will have any bearing on what is done in the future ... 

I've been hoping for a while that they'd upscale their Mk.1 Spit or their Bf.109G-6 ...

... But we've seen nothing in 1/32 for quite some time and rumour has it that they've taken a breather in that scale.

Rog :)

You may well be right, Rog, he was perhaps referring to the Intruder comment rather than the OP announcement of the Sheridan. And yes, a new large scale Stug III would be spectacularly cool.

26 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

You may well be right, Rog, he was perhaps referring to the Intruder comment rather than the OP announcement of the Sheridan. And yes, a new large scale Stug III would be spectacularly cool.

My post was not meant as an announcement of the Sheridan kit.  It was meant as an analysis of Tamiya's over all new releases and that it might lead one to conclude the they have an open slot in their product announcements for a major release along the lines of a 1/32 airplane.  The sheridan only matters because it is a big subject that if they did not have a lot of product coming they would have announced at it Shizuoka.  Keep in mind that usually they do their biggest announcements at the Japanese shows.