My opinion on the Lancaster from HK Models

Eagle Driver

47 minutes ago, barkhorn said:

What do you exactly mean saying this?

There is an aftermarket set with decals for the Lancaster already.

Cartograf are the best in what they do. There is nothing better on the decal scene.

Sizes of the aftermarket decals and Cartograf decals differ. On the small roundels the difference is significant. However there is an explanation on that which is not important for the review.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:09 AM, Eagle Driver said:

Here it is. I was thinking to make a review for LSP but Kevin beat me to it and I think both in time and quality. However this is what I think about the kit:

https://dnmodels.com/all/avro-lancaster-hk-models-01e010/

This was well written, thanks.

Ryan

1 hour ago, Eagle Driver said:

There is an aftermarket set with decals for the Lancaster already.

Cartograf are the best in what they do. There is nothing better on the decal scene.

Sizes of the aftermarket decals and Cartograf decals differ. On the small roundels the difference is significant. However there is an explanation on that which is not important for the review.

The roundels are adjusted to the kit with the size and position carefully matched to the photos of the real thing. What the aftermarket producer used as his reference (especially considering that, for example, the AR-G codes they offer, do not withstand comparison with photos of the real thing) and how actually he prepared the decals for a then non-existent kit, it's a question to them. 

I saw both the unbuilt (at their table) and built (at the LSP table) HK kit at Telford, and the 1/32SIG/LSP table was right next to WNW so spent a lot of time looking at what they had on the Lanc as well.  They both look very good, very buildable, and then it is what you want to do with it.  As Eagle Driver said, I'm very interested in the level of detail, ejector pin marks, and the kit engineering.  Both exhibit amazing stressed-skin detail but I like the expected Lanc cockpit/nose option as a stand-alone kit.  Much easier on the display space as well!

I agree as well that at this price point and level of complexity - color instructions with a lot of useful information are mandatory - something WNW has mastered.  I like to understand the history of what I'm building - recognizing not everyone does and not everyone wants more information or color.  I just find it very helpful and useful esp on complex builds.

44 minutes ago, barkhorn said:

The roundels are adjusted to the kit with the size and position carefully matched to the photos of the real thing.

AFAIK RAF roundels are standard. If I remember correctly, 62" and 102". For the latter one not sure though. I can check.

They differ very very slightly. However, one of the options has /by memory/ smaller roundels which are not included. They might've been larger too though. I didn't care much about the Lanc, that is why I am so ill prepared. I can check.

27 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Both exhibit amazing stressed-skin detail 

Do you mean HK and WnW by both? Because I have the HK in the other room and there is nothing like stressed skin on it. WnW on the other hand...WoW!

You sure? Rivetting aluminium skins to frames causes stresses that result in a similar effect. During use this may be increased but it is there from the beginning. Regarding the oilcanning, I like the WNW fuselage very much. The wings not so. During flight the wings tilt up a bit causing wrinkles. As the aircraft is on the ground gravity takes over and the wrinkles disappear mostly. Have a look at NX611 for instance. I am not so fond of WNW's wingsurface, but that's a matter of opinion. Anyway WNW will provide a great just as HK Models has.

A matter of opinion. Judging by the many topics and pages of them people tend to spend more time discussing than building kits^_^:ninja:

Cees

25 minutes ago, Cees Broere said:

You sure? Rivetting aluminium skins to frames causes stresses that result in a similar effect. During use this may be increased but it is there from the beginning. Regarding the oilcanning, I like the WNW fuselage very much. The wings not so. During flight the wings tilt up a bit causing wrinkles. As the aircraft is on the ground gravity takes over and the wrinkles disappear mostly. Have a look at NX611 for instance. I am not so fond of WNW's wingsurface, but that's a matter of opinion. Anyway WNW will provide a great just as HK Models has.

A matter of opinion. Judging by the many topics and pages of them people tend to spend more time discussing than building kits^_^:ninja:

Cees

For the Lancaster - no. I am not.

I have experience with something else though:

Brand new A320 vs 25 year old A320. Solid difference in appearance. Not to mention flying it. So I've seen the difference. One has to look for it though. The thing is with models is always exaggerated. 

But about discussing vs. building - that is a serious issue nowadays. 

14 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

You sure? Rivetting aluminium skins to frames causes stresses that result in a similar effect. During use this may be increased but it is there from the beginning. Regarding the oilcanning, I like the WNW fuselage very much. The wings not so. During flight the wings tilt up a bit causing wrinkles. As the aircraft is on the ground gravity takes over and the wrinkles disappear mostly.

Stress skin is shown on the wings during wartime factory images. There was an image published in a magazine that showed this. Wingnut Wings had this image on their booth on display at Telford too.