Bf109 drop tank fuel line in cockit .

Kais

Most are familiar with the fuel line with a clear section in the cockpits of drop tank equipped Bf109s.

Should it be clear, though ?

It occurs to me that if the drop tank has fuel in it the sight glass should be fuel coloured.  80 Octane: A3 - Light Blue colour,  87 Octane: B4 - Dark Blue colour , 100 Octane: C3 - Dark Green colour.

Thoughts?

Guest Vincent

there will be no fuel in the line on the ground because the fuel tank is feeding through pressure from the engine. Unless the engine is running AND the pilot has set the solenoid valve to open, the line is empty.

The line is from the fuselage tank behind the pilot.  I don't know, but I would hazard a guess that the colors you refer to were not opaque but transparent.  In my opinion, at our scale, the fuel color value would be too light to be noticeable or render.  Knowing what you know, if you want to use stretched color sprue , then go with it.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Vincent
13 minutes ago, dodgem37 said:

The line is from the fuselage tank behind the pilot.  I don't know, but I would hazard a guess that the colors you refer to were not opaque but transparent.  In my opinion, at our scale, the fuel color value would be too light to be noticeable or render.  Knowing what you know, if you want to use stretched color sprue , then go with it.

Sincerely,

Mark

It's the other way around : the fuel is drawn from the belly tank then goes up to the cockpit and then exits in the main tank. In essence, the drop tank only replenishes the main tank. The engine is always running on the main tank

this diagram is for the k4 but it was the same on all 109 starting with the E. Note the direction of arrows

14.gif

Edited by Vincent/MDC