Bf 109 f4 trop 9./JG 27

Dainis

I'm shortly starting the Hasegawa 1/32 Bf 109 f4 trop done in Yellow 4 of 9./JG 27 based in Straubing, Germany during May 1942. I'm choosing this because of the unusual paint over the 79/78 trop pattern, that is 75 and 79. The question I have is about the asymmetrical delineation line between the 78 and the 79/75/70 on the starbord side vs the port side. The starboard side seems to have the existing 79/78 delineation line, while the port side delineation between the 79/75/70 and the 78 is much lower on the fuselage. Im using EagleCals as a reference, but after a little search I found a black and white photo of both sides of Yellow 4. While grainy, it kinda looks like the asymmetry is there. It looks wacky, that's why I'm interested. But at the same time it does look a bit too wacky. Any thoughts?

I looked up a photograph and it is in fact von Boremki's plane of 9./JG3, not JG 27.The EaglCals reference the aircraft as JG27. It would seem to be an error on their part? Nonetheless, the paint scheme is the same, with the strange asymmetrical delineation. Various other sources seem to back this up. Was this a one off or were there others with similar type overpaint in the same JG?

This is just about my favorite BF-109 scheme.  Eduard has a variation of this in their boxing of the 1/48 F-4.  I have a F-4 painted up with this that I have not finished and is hanging on my workshop wall.   I have seen the Beremski photos attributed to the plane being in Germany.  I have thought though this was an Eastern Front scheme used on a few Tropical Planes that were reassigned.  

Anyway good luck with it.

Edited by cbk57

FCM Decals have a 1/32 sheet with Gelb 7 from 9./JG 3, flown by Oberleutnant Viktor Bauer, apparently based in numerous airfields in Russia in 1942. Here's a link, just scroll down to sheet number 32024.

Bauer's kite had the same scheme as von Boremski's Gelb 4, and despite the aforementioned asymmetry there seemed to be a definite pattern applied to all the Trop Friedrich's delivered to the "Udet" Geschwader, apart from a few minor discrepancies between machines, naturally. I found these photos on the Asisbiz site, for comparative purposes. Note that the general outlines for the overlaying coats of 75 and 70 over the original 79/78 follow a similar design on both sides.

Gelb 4 starboard

Gelb 4 port

Gelb 7 starboard

Gelb 7 port

Hope that helped!