Mustang Red Tails - 1/72 Duchess Arlene B/C and D

CANicoll

• 2 weeks later...

Back from the world's largest mobile trade show (Mobile World Congress) in Barcelona and contracted the creeping crud. YUCK.  Hope to make some progress this week and will keep you posted.  Sorry for the delay - work does sometime (often) interferes with the hobby!

Chris

Next update.  Doing some detail painting and some of the decaling as well.

Trying to do mostly paint instead of decals but didn't really want to take the time to do this nose band...Eventually the decal settled down better than appears here.

T38hP5.jpg

Cut the decal out for the D and used it to create a tape mask:

pJyFho.jpg

Y4O6l4.jpg

Fw1uER.jpg

The red is Vallejo Model Air which darkens compared to applying over a white base.

The Tamiya decals are taking some work to get down into the panel lines (oh, and the wing root join is not glued on yet.  Just fitted) but still working with the MicroSol.

H4nH20.jpg

Really liking the Alclad however, and the MRP paints I'm using.  Just need to sell my car so I can afford a full set!

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

OK, have not completely dropped off the face of the earth!!  Been busy with work and life but trying to get these two across the finish line so I can concentrate on the Tamiya 1/32 Duchess Arlene.

Pretty much finished with the decaling - did not go crazy with the stencils, esp in this scale.  What I thought was interesting is how the Academy decals appear on the plane, as opposed to the Tamiya decals.  The Academy have a lot of carrier film and it appears as something like a halo around the decal - NOT attractive.  Glad this is a test!! See the information plate below:

8L0ifL.jpg

Used some Flory's Dark wash on the B/C Mustang (and Flory's Black on the D).

XZ3DKr.jpg

cPUHXS.jpg

I'm behind masking the clear parts for the B/C (no masks).  Has any one used the Molotow masking markers?

vIeCsv.jpg

I used the masking pen to draw a camo pattern onto the nose of my paint mule, over painted it to see how well it would work.  Ignore the rubbed off part on top, I got impatient.  Sorry, should have taken a picture before over-painting.  The pen is incredibly easy to use.

gCFAPq.jpg

ZcFJPo.jpg

fJvMrW.jpg

The line is actually pretty clean. Tried using a cotton bud to rub off but that didnt really work.  Fingernail is too rough, but rubbing with a finger worked pretty well actually.  I'll try this again.

Interesting how the yellow bands evolved over time from closer to the wingtips (and wider) into narrower bands inside the guns.

kRK3Fk.jpg

You can see the difference in the information plate (and I'm REALLY hoping the decal is not this messed up!!!) but even looking at the other decals, you can see that there is not the halo around them like on the Academy plane.  But also, notice how different the red is on the spinner.  I don't think I used the same base color.  I'm learning ALL sorts of lessons using the MRP paints!

TCaMsR.jpg

Resin tires and wheels are now painted (and drying) so that is next, then the gear doors.  Landing light is a nice touch with the Tamiya kit.

aJih8O.jpg

Thanks for looking, and of course comments welcomed!

Chris

5 hours ago, Gazzas said:

They both look great, Chris!

Gaz

Thanks Gaz!  There are some things I could have done better, but mostly just looking to use the Alclad and MRP Paints on before I do the Tamiya 1/32 Duchess Arlene which I'm hoping to bring to Nationals - we'll see if I can get there.  Hope you are doing well!  Chris

Getting close to the finish line finally.  Have the D mostly completed - have not yet glued the wing onto the fuselage yet, and the clear canopy keeps separating from the canopy base but I think the resin wheels (Painted Black Grey with dark brown mud in between the treads) are a nice touch.

Here is the D on the Bases by Bill custom base made for the 1/32 Mustang I'm working (slowly) on, the B/C should come tomorrow.

k88SMo.jpg

Showing the wing is not glued to the fuselage yet.

pVZbfS.jpg

Elevators are the same color as the fuselage but seem to be a shade off.

cWWgyF.jpg

Yellow wing bands are painted on.  A bit of a wash on the flap and aileron lines.

VCoamk.jpg

Beautiful base done by Bases by Bill for me.

jXJTli.jpg

4xi0QM.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Chris