Buccaneer 60th Anniversary

crobinsonh

Completely agree - IMO the only great kits (today) are the CMR resin 1/72nd models (of which I have 10). The Airfix 1/48th did not capture many of the very subtle lines and neither does the Aerodynamix 1/32nd Vac form (I have one of these that it is unlikely I will ever build). I do have the 1/24th Resin model that is HUGE. And whilst there are some issues with accuracy that need fixing this is a model I dip into now and then. If memory serves me correctly it is around 2.5ft in length.

7 hours ago, Shoggz said:

Airfix have just released a new tool 1/48 version haven't they?

Sadly not so. There will be a new tool 1/72nd kit later this year, but that's as large as is announced to date.

The CAD shapes look good, but the renders are missing a lot of the flush intakes, vents and grilles I spent ages on along with a ton of corrections (radome, scale movable tailplane, wing folds and wing section, seamless polished solder rings on the intakes, engine fans, main gear legs and wells, open airbrake, detailed cockpit with enhanced Aeroclub seats etc.etc.) when building the Matchbox kit over 25 years ago.

I got as far as white primering it, then couldn't decide whether to completer it as a 12 Sqn RAF in wraparound grey/green, or saw off the belly tank and make it an early S2 in EDSG.white (though the fin/tailplane bullets were the later type). And then the 1/48 version came out... Perhaps I'll finish it if the Airfix kit is good enough to make an RAF/FAA pair.

Edited by Chek