Is there an easier way to fix Revell He 219 nacelles

oyoy5

13 hours ago, dennismcc said:

I am not particularly knowledgeable about Lufwaffe subjects so could not comment on the accuracy issues, other more knowledgeable people have identified the problems with the kit but I just used it as a fun build and did not try to correct anything. At the end of the day I ended up with (to my eyes) a most impressive model and enjoyed months of fun building it all for a very reasonable cost and no lost sleep worrying about it.

qQgjMg.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Awesome build, Dennis - you should write it up as a build topic/description...Clark

Build it out of box and dont worry about it as its far to difficult to fix when there is a very nice 219 already out there.

If accuracy is a concern sell it and buy the ZM kit.

The Revell kit fits the mold these days for a large majority of modellers on forums.

If its cheap it can look like a golden painted Unicorn and they would be happy.

If its expensive one rivet better not be wrong.

Luckily for most Revell has been cheap because its built close to most modellers ie EU and USA, Trumpeter on the other hand not so close so it gets far more flak for in many cases ie P-40F for equivalent issues distorted cowls.

My Revell 219 still looks a lot like a HE-219 to me...but i have 2 ZM ones as well....build it oob life is to short for sows ear conversions when you can buy a silk purse.

8 hours ago, clarkis said:

Awesome build, Dennis - you should write it up as a build topic/description...Clark

Hi Clark, it was a while ago but I did do a build thread over on Britmodeller and Kev very kindly published it here on LSP, links below, it was a very simple OOB build to get me back into building.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934140-revell-heinkel-he-219/&

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1073

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

• 2 weeks later...
On January 28, 2019 at 4:07 PM, Cheetah11 said:

Once the Smithsonian He 219 is assembled it would be interesting to see which nacelle angle is closest, Revell or SWS. Having looked at dozens of photos and drawings I know which one I favour.

Excellent build and thanks for the great tips you provided during the build.  I have book marked your effort.

Rick

I'll be starting mine very soon so thanks for all the info. Got to get some practice in with the airbrush first. Messing up that camouflage would be unthinkable!

While we're here, can anyone tell what that round disc behind the cockpit is?

3 hours ago, BaldEagle said:

While we're here, can anyone tell what that round disc behind the cockpit is?

To expand on Thierry, it's a low drag direction finder: 

Peilgerät (PeilG) 6: Codenamed "Alex Sniatkowski", this was a long and medium range D/F set and homing device used mainly on bombers: Ar 234Do 217Ju 87Ju 88A-4 onJu 188Ju 290Ju 388; the He 177A heavy bombers (Germany's only "heavy bomber" design in service), and both the He 219A and Ju 88G night fighter series are some of the aircraft types to be fitted. Frequency range was 150 to 1,200 kHz. A "flat" equivalent of a D/F loop was used for the Peilgerät device to reduce drag over a protruding D/F loop antenna, and made up of a series of metal strips in a "sunburst" pattern. often being fitted under a round, flush fitting plexiglass cover. A small "whip" aerial was also fitted to the FuG 10 radiomast. Manufactured by Telefunken.

Courtesy Wiki

Tony

2 hours ago, Tony T said:

To expand on Thierry, it's a low drag direction finder: 

Peilgerät (PeilG) 6: Codenamed "Alex Sniatkowski", this was a long and medium range D/F set and homing device used mainly on bombers: Ar 234Do 217Ju 87Ju 88A-4 onJu 188Ju 290Ju 388; the He 177A heavy bombers (Germany's only "heavy bomber" design in service), and both the He 219A and Ju 88G night fighter series are some of the aircraft types to be fitted. Frequency range was 150 to 1,200 kHz. A "flat" equivalent of a D/F loop was used for the Peilgerät device to reduce drag over a protruding D/F loop antenna, and made up of a series of metal strips in a "sunburst" pattern. often being fitted under a round, flush fitting plexiglass cover. A small "whip" aerial was also fitted to the FuG 10 radiomast. Manufactured by Telefunken.

Courtesy Wiki

Tony

Was the plexi-glass painted over or was the antenna  'visible' from above?