Is there an easier way to fix Revell He 219 nacelles

oyoy5

Try and look at as many photo side on (there are not many as the He 219 stood fairly high off the ground) and then decide. I do not think the Revell kit has as large a problem as made out to be. The Revell nacelles are in the same relative position to the fuselage center as the 1/48 Tamiya kit . Looking at the side on photo I think the SWS kit has the nacelles a bit high relative to the fuselage center. I am leaving my Revell kit as is.

28.jpg

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11
Additional text added

The nacelle incidence bothers me little; rather it's the flatness of the upper nacelles. If building the Revell I might just build up the top surfaces of the nacelles so that these are deeper and rounder in cross-section. 

The night-fighter finish will be largely fictitious on any build here (irrespective of whether the plastic is modified), thereby introducing a far greater inaccuracy: mottled grey over pale blue, more like a speckled egg (and less like some spaghetti thrown over mushroom sauce). Searching for such an A-7 scheme to mitigate inaccuracy.

Tony

I always ask myself a few questions before any build, 1) I’m I building this for myself, 2) I’m I building to have fun and relaxation, 3) Is any former (add your model here) pilot/mechanic/crew chief/engineer/designer ever going to set eyes on it in my house and tell me this or that is correct or incorrect?

We can all get lost in trying to replicate the perfect model but for me in the end it’s all about having fun putting a kit together, painting, and weathering and if looks good to my eyes and only my eyes then it’s all good.

Just my $.02

Reuben

Edited by Reuben L. Hernandez

I am not particularly knowledgeable about Lufwaffe subjects so could not comment on the accuracy issues, other more knowledgeable people have identified the problems with the kit but I just used it as a fun build and did not try to correct anything. At the end of the day I ended up with (to my eyes) a most impressive model and enjoyed months of fun building it all for a very reasonable cost and no lost sleep worrying about it.

qQgjMg.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

I can agree to your initial concern.   Perhaps the diameter of the entire nacelle is the real question and not just the rear portion of the actual nacelle in particular?  The slope rear portion of the Revell kit represents a better profile (IMHO) to that of the real thing as compared to the nacelles restored by the NASM.  The high straight upper edge of the rear ZM kit doesn’t seem to represent the real aircraft profile.  Look at several awesome examples displayed here on LSP and compare them to the real aircraft photos and make own judgement. The forward canopy is also a concern between the two respectful companies.   

In reality, its more a combined example of both kits that would be ideal situation but this is economically unfeasable to many.  

We’re just lucky to have two companies doing their best to represent a great example in their own right of the awesome He-219.  

Good of luck with your quest and keep us posted.  

Troy 

there was build here on LSP a few years ago where the guy simply tilted the whole wing.  By cutting the spar slots on the fuselage so that the front spar was higher and the back lower(or the other way.  Can' remember which way the nacelles need to be fixed).  The flat side of the fuselage makes this fix ideal.  Not 100% accurate fix, but gets the nacelle angle corrected.

1 hour ago, Mustang JBB said:

there was build here on LSP a few years ago where the guy simply tilted the whole wing.  By cutting the spar slots on the fuselage so that the front spar was higher and the back lower(or the other way.  Can' remember which way the nacelles need to be fixed).  The flat side of the fuselage makes this fix ideal.  Not 100% accurate fix, but gets the nacelle angle corrected.

That was Iain's build, which we turned into an eBook for KLP Publishing (see my signature for details).

Kev