Hasegawa Ki84 Hayate

dennismcc

Well after about a year I have finally (ish) put this one to bed, the kit is typical Hasegawa, great fit and a pleasure to build, the paint used was Sovereign Colourcoats, Xtracolor and Humbrol, markings are painted using Makatar paint masks, some cockpit parts are Aires, I did not use the complete cockpit to save time (it didn't). I also am not keen on lowered flaps so I modelled mine raised after seeing a build on HS in which the builder had raised his. I also used a couple of builds on LSP as guides as well.

I am really pleased with this one, the topside paint is Sovereign Colourcoats ARJ01 (same as ACJ22) which matches IJAAF#7 Ohryoku nana go shoku (I don't know either), at first I was disappointed that it was matt but it airbrushed beautifully and gave me a great finish. With handling the finish was matt with satin patches and looked great, it a shame that I could not replicate it at the end but a Satin varnish coat (Xtracolor) to me looks great, rather than a dead matt finish.

As I know next to nothing about Japanese subjects I contacted Nick Millman (Aviation of Japan) for advice and he very kindly answered all my detail questions on colours and model paint, he did the same when I built my Ki 27 Nate.

I did go off track with a couple of colours though so just in case any of you experts notice anything wrong any mistakes are mine not Nick's

I am useless at weathering so I tend to just fade the paint on my builds and dirty them up a bit.

I finally cracked the undercarriage hydraulic lines bit thanks to some good advice, but I still am not keen on Aerial wires the one on the build took me two attempts and it is still not anything to write home about.

So on with the photos, all taken with my phone, looking at them the prop is too clean it needs dirtying up but it is only pushed on so I can still sort it out.

J1dTlj.jpg

oupn6K.jpg

7p8Crr.jpg

f1lgx7.jpg

hJmBol.jpg

15 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Superb build, Dennis!

Kev

Thanks Kev, I am mightily pleased with it as I have not really ventured into Japanese subjects.

14 hours ago, Bruce_Crosby said:

It hits the spot!  Lovely build, great paint job! 

Thank you Bruce, it has certainly got me fired up to start the next one

11 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Quite nicely done Dennis !    :):clap2:

Thanks Mike, it was also a great learning experience for me.

11 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Oh yeah, that turned out lovely for sure.

Thank you and yes from a rather poor start it got better and better.

6 hours ago, Robert said:

Wonderful! Congrats

Thank you Robert it means a lot to me.

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, Troy Molitor said:

Superb efforts here Dennis.   It’s really great to see a Frank done up properly.   Thank you for showing us the way.  Well done and congratulations.   What’s next?   

Troy 

Thanks Troy, don't know about showing the way but I did enjoy the journey, next up is a Hasegawa Raiden.

Cheers

Dennis