Takom Jagdpanther G1

JeffH

5 hours ago, JeffH said:

Thanks for that link. Will check it out for sure

That is a lot of cool information there. While it seems highly doubtful I'll ever do a 1:35 German vehicle interior, I still copied it anyway, just in case.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:00 AM, ringleheim said:

Hi Jeff,

Here's a good article to lay some of the foundation for interior coloring for you.

The interior definitely wasn't simply all red oxide primer; it's German!  It's (needlessly) way more complicated than that!  

:lol:

http://byrden.com/panzers/Colours/index.html

The short answer, was that red primer only applies to vehicles made between September 1944 and sometime in late December 1944, Bryden's notes say late 1944.  So if you don't like red primer there is a pretty good window to build without it.  Unless you absolutely determine the vehicle your are modeling was manufactured during that specific three months and are determined to be dead on to the build date accurate there is room to bring ivory white back into your build.

I took German in college but was really bad at it and it is long forgotten so I have no idea how to say in German:  “I can’t see a ___ing thing in hear, paint this ___ing thing something other than red inside.”

Edited by cbk57

Seeing this project in the works, has caused me to drag out my Academy 1:25 scale kit and start playing with it (just what I needed to do). It's such a cool looking vehicle, and not withstanding some minor issues, the Academy kit is really pretty cool.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:13 PM, cbk57 said:

I took German in college but was really bad at it and it is long forgotten so I have no idea how to say in German:  “I can’t see a ___ing thing in hear, paint this ___ing thing something other than red inside.”

My translation may be a bit more formal, but it's along the lines of, "Ich kann hier keine verdammte Sache sehen; Sie malen dieses verdammte Sache etwas anderes als rot."

Give or take. Maybe someone who didn't learn it in a single high school class years ago can edit me.

A few caveats to the paint schemes discussed:

During the all-red interior craze of '44, you only had to deal with zimmerit for the first month (September). Other than that the red was generally confined to below sponson height and Elfenbein above.

However, the G2 went into production around December/January at the end of 1944 so you have only about two months of no dealing with zimmerit -- but this is completely inside the 'all-red interior' window. The only way you can accurately depict a G1 with an Elfenbein interior is to also apply zimmerit. If you want the Hinterhalt-Tarnüng camo (ambush) you only have August 1944 as your production window, or again you're all-red. From what I can tell, the kit does not do molded-on zimmerit like Dragon has done. Do they offer the decals for it or are you going to DIY?

So long story short: If you don't want it all red, try zimmerit instead. If you want your outside slick, get used to the color of brick. An ambush frees you from one or the other, but not both.