Not being 100% accurate- is it a big deal?

Pup7309

I spent years in design of real products.

It is embarassing how many items that looked wonderful on paper turned out to be total disasters, design wise, when the full size model was built. 

Bloody embarassing. But then one could modify the real item so the desgns worked  visually and fuctionally.

As to model railroading, I ignored exact anal rententiveness in Choo Choo models. Look, real railroads would order say 24 exact replicas of their new design steam locomotive and then would make changes as the designs were made into real things. Then there would be rebuilds where the designs were modified by the railroad  for specifec parts of the railroad, to incorporate new elements into the design, all sorts of things. 

FACE IT! there are some guys who are not happy unless they are argueing over small changes in the prototypes.  I determined early on that I would not listen to such delicate egos.  

On 1/26/2019 at 8:55 PM, Pup7309 said:

Sometimes I feel like doing a particular type of aircraft with a different aircraft’s decals , or give my own interpretation of painting schemes. 

Anyone else ever torn between historical accuracy and ...?

I personally don't stray too far from the historical record, but sometimes combine elements of different aircraft that MIGHT be plausible or based on what markings I can get. If the decals/stencils don't exist, then I have to use what Nature provides.

As the others have said, it's a hobby. Have fun.

4 hours ago, Lee White said:

I want an accurate shape more than anything, the details are somewhat secondary as they are more easily rectified and brought up to whatever level of accuracy I want.

Good point, that... 

jimbo

On 1/29/2019 at 2:46 AM, Shoggz said:

Nicely put Peter.

As a Marillion fan, this argument is very reminiscent of the endless debates about which of the two singers they've had across their history is the best!

It's a personal thing!

No debate, Fish! ;-)

9 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

A bit off topic I realize, but I just recently discovered that Rod Stewart is a very avid HO model railroader, having a 1,500 square foot layout of his own and builds/weathers most of the structures himself. While somewhat of a purist, I don't believe he falls into the bottomless pit of analyzing things to death.

I don't think he gives a rat's ass about what anybody has to say. He is an institution in music, so I assume he got enough confidence to ignore most of the people out there. As Trump or Arnold or anybody of that height. 
But is good to know that there are famous people involved into that. Just like with flying. Harrisond Ford, Brangelina, Giselle, Bruce Dickinson and so on.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 7:41 PM, tomprobert said:

Absolutely agree! As I said, there are many who slave over accuracy yet the finished article

bares no resemblance whatsoever to the original because of their paint finish. Quite ironic really!

Good point!

On 1/29/2019 at 6:04 PM, Eagle Driver said:

Yeah. Looking at the photos means more than seeing the real airplane.

Technical documents? What part from the modelers has any access what so ever to the official documentation?? Drawings that are accessible to the masses are created by people who are often part of those masses. 

Yeah sure.

That is what some part of fans and hobbyists rely to keep their spirits high enough.

Yes please, correct the nose and leave the thickness of the clear parts, thickness of the trailing edges and cockpit details the same.

But the nose stands corrected!

What an achievement!

For some others, researching 65 years about the proper color of the Zero is also enjoyable. Tons of feuds. And fierce too.

That doesn't mean that some others doesn't find it ridiculous, right? It is a matter of opinion.

And by "Spare US" I assume that you are some group representative. I always thought that forums are for expressing your own opinions. 

Here's the thing. MiG-21 from Eduard is a BRILLIANT kit by any means. Hardly anything better in 48th scale.

But some people found issues with it. Some people brag about that, trying to present themselves as experts. Others make aftermarket for it trying to exploit the weaknesses. And there are this group of people who build the hell out of it. The thing is they are the minority.

Is there a better MiG-21? No. It is not and never will be 100% accurate. No matter what you improve on it and how much money you spend for resin and PE.

This is the perfect example of what is very wrong with the hobby nowadays.

When I started back in early 90s it was about building the plane. Now it is about how much aftermarket can you add to it, pretend that this is going to fix it.

It won't. Thickness issues mentioned above won't be. As many other things.

I will mention three things to conclude on the subject:

1. Rivets are never holes on the surface of the aircraft. Thus what most of the companies do nowadays is a tendency to alter the appearance to exaggerate the effects.

Nothing to do with accuracy.

2. You can never have thin enough surfaces on most of the things. Tanks, planes, whatever. Photo-etch deal with some part of that issue, but it is only a fraction.

Again, nothing to do with the accuracy, based on the limitations of the materials and technologies.

3. This hobby is for fun, not for accuracy. Some try to turn it into accuracy competition because they have nothing else to rely on. I've seen that many times for 30 years in modeling. Mostly coming from the worst modelers that I know.

It should be about fun, not stress.

That should answer it all.

Another good conclusion is presented here:

Hey good video. ‘Do what’s best for you...you don’t need more stressors in your life...close the browser and have fun!’

Thanks for the Paul Budzik video!  I hadn't seen that one before.  I agree, that the answer to the OP is very personal, and have chucked a kit because getting it to fit my accuracy needs was beyond the worth of the effort.

If it ain't fun...  you're doing it wrong.   hmmm....  where have I heard that one before?

Gaz