Wing Leading Edge?

Garage21

The first and second photo below show the leading edge of the Model Airways 1:16 Sopwith Camel.  The third photo shows a 1:1 Sopwith Camel is restoration.  If you look at the three red boxes, you can see that the model uses a tiny wooden insert at the leading edge between each wing rib, while the actual plane shows a metal strap in that same position.  I've seen other photos of actual camels and they all seem to show the metal strap that winds around the front of the leading edge of the wings.

I'm leaning towards the metal strap, but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into what's right.

wing01

wing02

wing03

As an item that may have a factor in what is and what is not, your restoration photo is that of the horizontal stabilizer and not the wing.  I don't know if that makes a difference or not.  If there's no difference then I'd say strap as well.

You are correct Juggernut; that is indeed the rear stabilizer.  But every picture of every wing surface seems to show those metal straps (not that I have that many pictures mind you).  What I can't figure out is why would Model Airlines go to such length to provide 50 of those tiny little wooden struts if they weren't even historically accurate?

I assumed they were steel or possibly aluminium. I doubt they'd be brass as the strength/weight ratio would be much better for steel/al in that location.

dsca1680.jpg

http://heroicrelics.org/air-zoo/sopwith-camel/index.html

The other point I'd make is that the tailplane has them on the upper and lower surfaces. The mainplanes have them on the upper surface only.

Another shot of the Shuttleworth Camel during its overhaul, courtesy of the Shuttleworth Trust.

130924-camel-rigged-3.jpg

Edited by Twobad

On 1/25/2019 at 10:07 PM, Garage21 said:

.... What I can't figure out is why would Model Airlines go to such length to provide 50 of those tiny little wooden struts if they weren't even historically accurate?

The 1/8th Hasegawa Camel has them in wood too. I suspect that the model making companies crib quite heavily off each other's kits (or used to prior to source photos being readily available on the net) and so errors get promulgated. 

The leading edge of the Hasegawa 1/8th Scale Fokker Dr.1 has a very compromised leading edge, and I have seen that carried forward on quite a few other offerings. 

Two - That is the picture i've been looking for!  No doubt now what the proper configuration is.  And, contrary to what I thought, it's not a strap that wraps around but a rod the uses wood screws at each end.

Thanks very much for sharing - that's incredibly helpful.

Andy.

18 hours ago, Garage21 said:

Two - That is the picture i've been looking for!  No doubt now what the proper configuration is.  And, contrary to what I thought, it's not a strap that wraps around but a rod the uses wood screws at each end.

Thanks very much for sharing - that's incredibly helpful.

Andy.

I think you are right about the tailplane ones though. They definitely appear to be a one piece item that wraps around the leading edge. If you look very closely at some covered tailplanes you can convince yourself you can see them. Unfortunately all the bare tailplane photos I have are taken from the side or rear.

camel_16.jpg