Yet another HK Lancaster

mgunns

Okay folks, another "exciting" update on the HK Lanc Build.  I drilled out the holes in the gun supports and brackets.

DSC04455_1.jpg

DSC04456.jpg

And here is the finished result.   It's not a major assembly but I think overall it will enhance the appearance of the turrets once on the model.  I was scoping out the WNW Lancaster site and noticed that theirs has the holes pre drilled.  It isn't a biggie to drill them out.  I also painted the entire assembly using Tamiya XF-84 Dark Iron.  The macro lens picks up the "sparkles" in the paint, but in reality it is barely notiecable.

DSC04480.jpg

DSC04478%202.jpg

Here is the completed aft turret:

DSC04483%202.jpg

And another one.

DSC04482%202.jpg

I sent away for the DN masks, once I get those, I can really finish the turrets as I am not about to attempt masking and cutting myself, so I can wait.  For now, it's on to the bombs and the rest of the interior: But wait, there's more.  Below are the tail surfaces.  I used True Color Black.  I need to do another coat but wanted to get these posted.  I did use the NIgel Method and corrected the stabilizers.  A pretty straightforward and easy correction.  I doubt anyone would notice if it wasn't accoplished, but; I'm glad I did it and glad that Someone noticed it and Nigel did a video on how to correct it.

DSC04484.jpg

So there you have it for the edition.  More modeling "excitement" on the way.

Thanks guys for your likes and comments

Not a lot tonight.  I spent almost the ENTIRE day on the bombs.  

DSC04490.jpg

During this time I watched a video in color and noticed that the Cookie was a slightly different shade of OD than the other bombs.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdfr1yvzqVY 

Well worth a look if you haven't seen it.

I used Testors Model Master Olive Drab for the 500 pounders and Testors Model Master Green FS34258 for the Cookie.  I then went over all of them with Tamiya X-19 Smoke.

On to the next step and hopefully get the interior ready to be buttoned up.

Thanks for stopping by.

Okay:  BOMBS AWAY:  This is the last bomb post.  Honest!   I was looking at the bombs and realized they needed the yellow markings.  I didn't want to mask and paint, nor did I want to use decals, so I used AIZU Tape.

DSC04491.jpg

Carefully wrapping it around the embossed areas I applied the tape.

DSC04492.jpg

Once on, I burnished the tape to stick better and sealed the ends with a drop of super glue.

Twenty bombs later and a little dry brushing.

DSC04494.jpg

DSC04495.jpg

So there you have it.  About three hours worth of work but I think worth the effort.  I can't wait to see them in the cmpleted bomb bay.

Thanks for stopping by.

Interesting approach.

the results look impressive - I won’t say ‘from a distance’, but what I mean is that there are no close-ups of where the tape ends meet.

my question - for people who want to replicate this process - is what lengths of tape did you use?

my concern with this technique would be the longevity - how long will the tape last?

4 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Interesting approach.

the results look impressive - I won’t say ‘from a distance’, but what I mean is that there are no close-ups of where the tape ends meet.

my question - for people who want to replicate this process - is what lengths of tape did you use?

my concern with this technique would be the longevity - how long will the tape last?

I just wrapped the tape around the bomb.  A bit at each end.  Not sure the length, I didn't measure it, just applied it off the roll.  I started on the "back side" where the two pins are to mate it to the bomb bay floor/roof.   I used the same stuff but in the 2mm size for the joint tape on my 1/48 Lancaster.  I superglued the tape on.  I am not worried about them coming off.

Here's the fin end:

DSC04497.jpg

and the other end:

DSC04496.jpg

As this the side that attaches to the bomb bay, I figured it was a good place to start and  finish.

Thanks for looking in and comments.

Hello Jari:

Thanks for your comment and the link to the manual.  Lots of good information on the Lancaster in that book, looks like some other goodies on the site as well.   Going out of town for a couple of days, so no updates or modeling excitement.

Thanks folks for checking in and your comments and interest in the build.  Moving along n the bild I noticed at step 24 the parts marked M17, M12, M20, M1, and M5 should be "N".  

DSC04500.jpg

DSC04501.jpg

I'm sure you coud all figure it out, I mean, I did.  But; I wasn't sure if this has been posted before or not and thought that someone may find it useful.

More pics as I make some real progress.

12 hours ago, mgunns said:

m sure you coud all figure it out, I mean, I did.  But; I wasn't sure if this has been posted before or not and thought that someone may find it useful.

Very much so, sir! This is why these WIPs are so invaluable for many of us; I’ve already made notes in my instruction manual. Turrets look fantastic, great progress. Thanks for sharing!

Jimbo

• 3 weeks later...

I'm putting it away for awhile.   I am having issues with the fuselage fitment and don't want to wrestle with it right now.  I will get back to it when I am ready to tackle it.  I need to see something finished.