Yet another HK Lancaster

mgunns

Okay, more Lancaster Modeling excitement.  I spent about two and a half hours tonight working on more of the interior, it's getting close folks.  Got part of the Gee Navigation and the DSC04428.jpg

Radio in place.  The camera isn't kind and I see some areas to touch up.  There will be more as well

This is the panel on the port side of the pilot platform.

DSC04427.jpg

It looks to be just some junction boxes, not sure though.

One of the navigation panels.

DSC04426.jpg

Another panel.

DSC04425.jpg

Not sure what the box is, first aid kit maybe?  I pulled some decals off of a WNW Sopwith Dolphin sheet to add some interest to the pieces.  Not sure what they mean, but the look sort of neat on the pieces, and besides, once buttoned up, hardly noticeable.

DSC04424.jpg

The wood grain is a base of Tamiya XF-55, with WIndsor Newton Burnt Sienna oils, overlayed with Tamiya clear orange and a bit of Tamiya Smoke.

The seat is finished and fixed into place.  I used Humbrol leather for the base coat, some dry brushing with Testors MM Desert tan, an overcoat of Tamiya Orange and Smoke, and then on overspray of Testors Dull Coat.  I thought I would have some fun with my photo editor.

DSC04422%202.jpg

And in real life

DSC04422.jpg

Not quite as dramatic.  The handle looking thing, which I think is a bomb release is shown to go behind the ruder pedals, but I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to make it all fit, noticing that there is no bomb release handle, I put it there.  I used a Vector Cut gear for the forward trim knob, but it really isn't too visible.  The trim wheel is painted Testors #4 Dark Red for a little color variation.

Another view of the radio operator with some of the myriad gear at his feet.

DSC04421.jpg

As a lot of this stuff won't be seen, I won't be using the clear fuselage halves, I am not going to get too wrapped around the axel over things that won't be seen.

Another shot of the navigator seat.  Again using Humbrol Leather, dry brushed with Testors MM Desert Tan and overcoated with Tamiya Yellow and smoke.  The seat belts are from the Eduard set for the 1/48 Lancaster.  I used them for the pilots seat, except the chest harness is from the kit PE.

DSC04420.jpg

I did spend some time on the radio gear that won't be seen, but it was sort of fun trying to match the colors as shown in the reference book on the Dambuster.

DSC04416.jpg

That's about enough excitement for tonight.  I will spend some more time on it tomorrow and see how far I get.  If it's meaningful progress I will post some pics.

Thanks for looking and your comments.

On 1/28/2019 at 6:48 PM, mgunns said:

Okay, making some progress.  As this is pretty much an OOB build there won't be any time spent "correcting" errors in the kit.  I enjoy seeing those modelers that do that, but I am not one of them.  I do have the Master Barrels for the kit.  I made some progress on the interior to date.  The seat isn't finished but workingon it, very fiddly.

DSC04413.jpg

DSC04412.jpg

I used Humbrol Leather with some Modern Desert sand for highlighting and Tamiya orange.  Not finished but moving.  The yellow Gas Detection dod is out of an old decal sheet for the Blue Angels, using a hole punch I cut out a few.  I did put one in the back but it isn't in this image.

I spent some time on the "AirScale" P.E. parts.  I found the instructions to be a little on the vague side, but after reading them a few times, following the steps it all became clear.    I used Testors Model Maser Insignia Yellow and RAF Azure Blue for the gauges.  The other colors are plain old Testors #3 Red and Testors Model Master Orange.  For the overall color I used Tamiya Burnt Iron.  It isn't black, has some metalic in it, just enough to set it off from black and make it stand out a bit.

DSC04411.jpg 

Another view of the "office", as you can see a lot of work left in this area.  I spent from about 1530 to 2330 working on the stuff you see here.DSC04409.jpg

The fit of the "AirScale" PE is real nice.  The sequence of cutting out the control knobs is well thought out and "easy peasey" for those less inclined with PE parts.

DSC04408.jpg

Just for fun, here is a shot of the Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster next to the fuselage sections of the HK Lancaster.  It looks quite small.

DSC04274.jpg

Another "Fun" shot:   My wife indicating where the finished model will be "displayed."  She's such a joker!  In reality, she supports my hobby (addiction).

DSC04275.jpg

Can't have a build without the obligatory matchstick for size comparison.

DSC04270.jpg

Okay, that's it for this iteration.  I am making progress and will post more as that progress continues.  Thanks for looking in and comment.

How lucky you are!

My wife strongly believes the hobby is my mistress.

Okay, I got  a little more accomplished on the interior.  I managed to get past pages 1&2 and am now on page 3 of the instructions.   The forward flight deck is now complete.

DSC04443.jpg

Another view of the office.  I picked out a few more details on the radio gear.  A word of caution for the modelers using the Airscale PE instrument panel:  Ensure you have a good match because it can affect the fit of the IP in the forward fuselage if no aligned properly.

DSC04442.jpg

Another view.  I detailed the radio gear under the navigator table, sadly, it will not be seen.

DSC04442.jpg

The starbord side of the inside of the forward cockpit area with the electrical panel fixed in position.

DSC04440.jpg

Below is the forwad section of the starboard side with comms and portholes in place.

DSC04439.jpg

And........just when you thought you've seen it all, the port side with gear and portholes in place.

DSC04438.jpg

Now it's on to the forward gun turret.  I did order the DN canopy and turret mask set for this airplane.  I know I could have masked it myself, but using a pre cut mask set on my 1/48 scale Lancs spoiled me, so I will be awaiting those masks.

Thanks for stopping by and scoing it out.

Okay, I got a little progress on the front turret.  The photos really don't look too good, but; in real life it looks much better.  Anyway, I drilled out the holes in the supports.  I painted the whold thing Tamiya XF84 Dark Iron to offset it from the black. I painted the receivers Tamiya XF 69 Nato Black to make them stand out a bit from the Burnt Iron.  There is a mtetal flake like quality to the burnt iron and the Macro lense picks that up, but again, in normal viewing distance it isn't as prevelant.  Anyway, here goes

DSC04448.jpg

I have the plastic barrels in there just to see how the alignment is.  I tried to find some photo's of the control panel for color, but couldn't find anything of note so I just made a SWAG, it adds some color and you can see that sometlhing is in there.

DSC04449.jpg

I brush painted the rounds in the feed chutes ALCLAD Pale Gold and brush painted the chutes ALCLAD Aluminum.  I dry brushed the whole assembly with Testors MM Aluminum.

DSC04450.jpg

DSC04451.jpg

This is two evenings worth of work.  I do have the Master Barrles for this kit.  They look awfully fiddly, but will see if I can get them to look decent.  I am not going to discard the kit barrels, as they don't look too bad, but you can't beat the Master barrels for clarity of detail.

Thanks for stopping by and checkin git out.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay folks, another "exciting" update on the HK Lanc Build.  I drilled out the holes in the gun supports and brackets.

DSC04455_1.jpg

DSC04456.jpg

And here is the finished result.   It's not a major assembly but I think overall it will enhance the appearance of the turrets once on the model.  I was scoping out the WNW Lancaster site and noticed that theirs has the holes pre drilled.  It isn't a biggie to drill them out.  I also painted the entire assembly using Tamiya XF-84 Dark Iron.  The macro lens picks up the "sparkles" in the paint, but in reality it is barely notiecable.

DSC04480.jpg

DSC04478%202.jpg

Here is the completed aft turret:

DSC04483%202.jpg

And another one.

DSC04482%202.jpg

I sent away for the DN masks, once I get those, I can really finish the turrets as I am not about to attempt masking and cutting myself, so I can wait.  For now, it's on to the bombs and the rest of the interior: But wait, there's more.  Below are the tail surfaces.  I used True Color Black.  I need to do another coat but wanted to get these posted.  I did use the NIgel Method and corrected the stabilizers.  A pretty straightforward and easy correction.  I doubt anyone would notice if it wasn't accoplished, but; I'm glad I did it and glad that Someone noticed it and Nigel did a video on how to correct it.

DSC04484.jpg

DSC04485.jpg

So there you have it for the edition.  More modeling "excitement" on the way.

Edited by mgunns