Yet another HK Lancaster

mgunns

DSC04273.jpg
43419086_2272769572960716_41608576293771

DSC04404.jpg

DSC04402.jpg

Okay, here is my entry.  I am going to build the HK Lanc, the only aftermarket parts I am going to use is the Airscale instrument Panel.  I will be using the "Dambuster Lancaster Book for reference, the Kitworld Decals for Phantom of the Rhur, another 100+ Lancaster.  Going to start on the IP and go from there.  I will post pics of progress of sub assemblies.  See how it goes.   The Kitsworld decals codes are a different color red than the kit decals.  I don't know if that's a show stopper for those decals, but I am not happy about that.  I may use the kit decals.  I know that squadron codes changed during the life of the airplane.  I have to do some research on this.  I also have "Ton Up Lancs" with this aircraft featured.

Edited by mgunns
Added a comment

Good to see another Lanc being built, I'll be interested to see how it goes, good luck with it! I have to agree those Kitsworld code colours look far too bright, they should be a dull red. The reason why 5 Group added a yellow outline to their squadron codes in mid 1944 when more daylight operations were possible was simply because of the codes' dullness. 

Thanks for checking in.  I made some progress on the IP last night, not much but got it scraped off per the Airscale instructions.  I doubt I will use the Kitsworld decals, the colors are just too bright.  I could use them and tone them down with washes.  I'll see how I feel about them at that time,  Maybe there will be a better decal sheet out there by then.  There doesn't seem to be much quality control at Kitsworld.  I have used their decals on the 1/48 dambuster and the codes were pretty close and much darker.  More work tonight and over this weekend, possibly some pictures.

Made some small progress on the seat this evening.  No photo's but hopefully I can get something done over the weekend meaningful and "exciting."  Stay tuned folks.  

I appreciate all the comments and well wishes.  I haven't done a GB in awhile, looking forward to working through this one.

Okay, making some progress.  As this is pretty much an OOB build there won't be any time spent "correcting" errors in the kit.  I enjoy seeing those modelers that do that, but I am not one of them.  I do have the Master Barrels for the kit.  I made some progress on the interior to date.  The seat isn't finished but workingon it, very fiddly.

DSC04413.jpg

DSC04412.jpg

I used Humbrol Leather with some Modern Desert sand for highlighting and Tamiya orange.  Not finished but moving.  The yellow Gas Detection dod is out of an old decal sheet for the Blue Angels, using a hole punch I cut out a few.  I did put one in the back but it isn't in this image.

I spent some time on the "AirScale" P.E. parts.  I found the instructions to be a little on the vague side, but after reading them a few times, following the steps it all became clear.    I used Testors Model Maser Insignia Yellow and RAF Azure Blue for the gauges.  The other colors are plain old Testors #3 Red and Testors Model Master Orange.  For the overall color I used Tamiya Burnt Iron.  It isn't black, has some metalic in it, just enough to set it off from black and make it stand out a bit.

DSC04411.jpg 

Another view of the "office", as you can see a lot of work left in this area.  I spent from about 1530 to 2330 working on the stuff you see here.DSC04409.jpg

The fit of the "AirScale" PE is real nice.  The sequence of cutting out the control knobs is well thought out and "easy peasey" for those less inclined with PE parts.

DSC04408.jpg

Just for fun, here is a shot of the Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster next to the fuselage sections of the HK Lancaster.  It looks quite small.

DSC04274.jpg

Another "Fun" shot:   My wife indicating where the finished model will be "displayed."  She's such a joker!  In reality, she supports my hobby (addiction).

DSC04275.jpg

Can't have a build without the obligatory matchstick for size comparison.

DSC04270.jpg

Okay, that's it for this iteration.  I am making progress and will post more as that progress continues.  Thanks for looking in and comment.

Likes it, that photo of the Tamiya Lancaster really does show how big this kit is, and that shot of your wife puts me in mind of my "boss" she would probably pose the same shot despite the fact that she supports me 100% in my hobby and even uses her shopping skills to buy me bargains at shows.

Cheers

Dennis