1/32 MH-53E Sea Dragon - 3D printed / scratchbuilt

Starfighter

I am working with Inventor 2019. The future is now - it is possible to print your own kits, but it doesn't make sense for most people now and it and probably won't make sense in the future. Even if you have a printer and if you buy ready-to-print CAD files, it still takes a lot of time and effort to get usable parts - it's not like you click 'print' and you have parts ready to be assembled a few hours later. 

This is most awesome, thank you very much Timmy! My sponsons are based on enlarged Academy drawings, but they are not 100% accurate shape wise compared with photos of the real a/c, so I modified them quite a bit. I will make a new CAD file based on your drawings to see how they look compared with 'my' sponsons. 

The biggest challenge will be the interior, especially in mine sweeping configuration... not sure this was the best choice for a 'less complex' project! :D 

• 4 weeks later...

Got a new graphics card, so it was time to add more details to the MH-53E sponsons while I'm waiting for a replacement canopy for my Academy Viper. Adding raised details to compound curved parts is very time consuming, but I hope the result will be worth the pain. 

mh-53_sponson_6pwj4c.png

I'll have to split them into two halves as they are too big for my little Photon. 

This is looking amazing!  Can you share any tips or point me to where I may find tips on how to add surface details in cad please? Especially around curves like you’ve done on the sponson. I’m trying to design my own model and that finding I need more of an assist than I thought I would...

It depends on which program you are using! I work with Autodesk Inventor - in this case I can indeed tell you how to do this. If you are using another program, I won't be able to help I'm afraid...