1/32 MH-53E Sea Dragon - 3D printed / scratchbuilt

Starfighter

33 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

Flipper, the problem with the HGW rivets is that they are too flat. I have some of their sheets and I think they would be too subtle compared with the real thing.

Try to contact owner of HGW, and introduce your project to him. He is a modeller and he likes crazy things like this, so he can maybe help you.

• 1 month later...

I really hope you get this bird flight ready, I love the CH-53E and the MH-53E, even though I have no direct experience with either, since I was in the Army.

Anyway, I actually have two MH-53E quarter scale Academy kits in my stash, that I am itching to start laying down rivets, anyone who owns these kits knows the lack any rivet detail at all. Many of the photos I have found online, show rivets in single, double, triple and quadruple rows! It rivets held together by skin, not the other way around. Especially in the tail section.

I have a favor to ask, because so far, I have had little luck finding just the right photos to sort out the number of rows required one the entire side of the airframe, then top/bottom front and rear. You wouldn't happen to have any technical drawings that give this information. Would be much easier than trying to sort it out via photos.

If you do, I would be exceedingly grateful, would help an old guy trying to rejoin the hobby of my youth!

Thanks, and look forward to the next stages of this build, it will be quite a treat!

Anthony

Thanks Anthony, it's always great to hear there are other 53-lovers around! I am actually looking for the same information as you - I am trying to decode the photos of the real a/c I have but it's a lot of work. Should I find something, I will of course share the information with you! 

Hi Ben,

fantastic and inspirational work as usual! (Your Prowler is one of my most favorite builds of all time)

I agree with your assessment of the Micro Mark rivets- not domed, and mostly disappear under paint.

woody at Archer is an outstanding and resourceful guy- bet he could help you out.

I face a similar conundrum with my Pavehawk...considering how to fill the recessed rivets and replace them-

you’ll figure it out- you Always do, right?

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

2 hours ago, Starfighter said:

great to hear there are other 53-lovers around!

I used to spend two weeks a year down in Emerald Isle, close to Cherry Point MAS, and we would watch their 53's pass buy on a daily basis, it was impossible not to fall in love with them, it's and amazing (if slightly troubled) aircraft. There have been lots of accidents with this type apparently, and the MH-53E as well. I know they have been going through some upgrades, but the last report I read was still unfavorable, sadly.

Anyway, that news still won't turn my favor against them. My only military experience, was flying in the UH-60L while on active duty in the Army, I have to admit, best ride ever! But it is and remains the only type I have flown in, but flying with great pilots, going very fast, nap of the earth at night, you just can't beat it. Made my time in the Bradley seem inconsequential.

Anyway, I will still scour the internet for line drawings that give an accurate representation of the entire aircraft at right angles, no odd views (port, stern, starboard, bow, top and bottom). Someone has to have them somewhere.

I know a lot of rotorhead on another forum of ill repute that I will give a shout too, maybe they can give us the aid we seek. Since they are mostly Marines, they will move mountains to make it happen, anything they can hold over an Army guy, so they can get their digs in!

Cheers,

Anthony

Use interior photos as a guide.  The exterior rivets follow the frame structure that is visible from the inside.  Now that the E’s no longer fly with sound proofing installed, current interior photos should shed some light on the exterior.

Irregardless there’s a metric poop ton of rivets on the hog.  Will be a true triumph to achieve an accurate map.  By the way when I have done this sort of work, my T-45 for example, I rely 100% on photos.  There are not drawings the describe the rivets as a whole.  There are drawings that depict the construction of each individual panel, but getting your hands on those....not likely. 

Good luck guys, hope this insight helps a bit.

Timmy!

6 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Took a bunch of pictures, but they may be on an old computer.

If you find them, let us know, getting a good set of a single airframe would do wonders. Most of the "walk arounds" I have found online, are a mixed bag that lead to confusion more than anything.

9 hours ago, Timmy! said:

Use interior photos as a guide.

It's bad enough trying to sort this out from the outside, the idea of trying to process the rivets, Jonah style, is enough to do my head in!

Cheers,

Anthony

• 6 months later...

Not at the moment. I am fully concentrating on reducing my shelf of doom, i.e. finisheg the QF-4S. If my friend Thomas has time to finish to machine the parts I need for the ERA-3B, this one will be the next in line. But I am thinking about solutions forthe MH-53 as well - I may choose another solution for the surface detail. I have an idea for the overlapping panels without using sheet metal... Be ensured this project is anything but forgotten, it's just so far out of my comfort zone that all the different need more time and thought than my usual projects. I'll keep you posted! 

• 3 months later...