1/32 MH-53E Sea Dragon - 3D printed / scratchbuilt

Starfighter

9 hours ago, hamfists nz said:

Scuse my ignorance but what’s the difference? Aside from the color, fuel tanks and refueling probe is there much else?

The MH is differences derive from it’s mine sweeping mission.  So all of the external differences you mentioned plus the sled and winch system, rear view mirrors so the pilots can see the sled in the water.  There are triangular plates on the aft section of the fuel sponson where it meets the ramp area.  The fuselage is identical, we had some CH’s that had the mounting points on the fuse side where the big fuel sonson of the MH would bolt on.   Other differences that i’ll mention but would have no bearing on the model are upgraded engines and some nice avionics stuff.  The engines had a more robust hot section to cope with the continuous high power settings needed for sled towing.  The MH secondary mission after the Navy got rid of their CH’s was to haul cargo and personnel  (a$$ and trash) long distance shore to ship.  So they had some better navigation gear.  The HSI I remember particularly because that wou;d have made life nicer in the CH.  Both were Old Skool steam gauge, no autopilot but altitude hold and simple SAS (Stabilization Augmentation System), the MH just had some “newer steam gauges.”

Hope that clears up things up a little...

Timmy!

• 1 month later...

Just a small life sign... my bench time is very limited at the moment, but I decided to start the CAD drawings of the instrument panel to get used to working with Inventor again. The panel is in a very early stage, most details have yet to be added. I am planning to prepare as many interior components as possible in 3D and to 3D print them or to have them CNC machined once ready. 

54190728_2212738882087qj5a.png

Sanding, sanding and more sanding...

img_8155ngkgh.jpg

The Proxxon Sander is a very useful tool for sanding in tight spots! 

img_8136rnkyd.jpg

A coat of automotive filler from the rattle can helps to spot blemishes and to fill in small scratches. There is more sanding ahead - as you can see, I a few more coats of filler.

img_81778cjwt.jpg

img_8179v6jfo.jpg

img_81805uj3s.jpg

img_8181ihj7j.jpg