1/72 Rockwell B-1B Lancer ("BONE") bomber

checksix

Very nicely done indeed! I have the Airfix version in the pile but I just can't bring myself to do all the rescribing required or get the AM parts to bring it up to spec. I'll wait for the Modelcollect one to be released I think. 

I'm going to borrow your window tinting idea, though, for which ever version I get. 

Thanks all for the kind words. It was a lot of work. I had to put it back in the box a few times after frustration with fitment issues, but finally decided to beat it into submission with clamps and glue. It all worked out in the end. It will be interesting to see what ModelCollect comes out with if/when they release a kit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 10:32 AM, checksix said:

Wings

The first job is to correct the wings. They need to be longer to match the drawings:

wing_root_extensions.jpg

And the wing pivot knuckles need to be larger in diameter:

wing_pivot_corrections.jpg

I made the wings removable so they can be installed after the fuselage is closed up, blended, filled, and scribed. I cut slots into the wings and filed matching flats on the pivots, after inserting wire rods for extra strength:

wing_mounts.jpg

Incredible build, I like how you showed the use of the Barracuda correction sets.  I have one question for you on the wings.  Where did you find the information about the length of the wings to correct the short comings of the kit?

Thanks!

On 2/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, jenshb said:

Fantastic result!  I'm a bit surprised about the absence of decals on such an invovled project.

I'm planning on adding "EL" (Ellsworth) markings eventually. My son will be PCS'ing there sometime this year as a pilot. I'm waiting to see what plane(s) he'll be flying so I can pick something appropriate.

15 hours ago, Michael931080 said:

Incredible build, I like how you showed the use of the Barracuda correction sets.  I have one question for you on the wings.  Where did you find the information about the length of the wings to correct the short comings of the kit?

Thanks!

I used original Rockwell / North American Aviation drawings for the B-1B, obtained here:

http://www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com/catalog/drawndoc.htm

"Airdrawing 2" and "Airdrawing 18"

This was a great resource. You place an order via paypal and he email's you a temporary web address and password from which you download the .zip file containing the drawings.

I used a program called "Imagemagick" to convert  and rescale the desired image ("B-1b.gif") into a pdf file that I took to a local Office Depot and had them print on one of their big architectural printers (48" x 36") for about $7.

Edited by checksix

2 hours ago, checksix said:

I'm planning on adding "EL" (Ellsworth) markings eventually. My son will be PCS'ing there sometime this year as a pilot. I'm waiting to see what plane(s) he'll be flying so I can pick something appropriate.

Ah.  God luck to your son - I hope he will enjoy piloting one of the sexiest bombers ever designed.

7 hours ago, checksix said:

I used original Rockwell / North American Aviation drawings for the B-1B, obtained here:

http://www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com/catalog/drawndoc.htm

"Airdrawing 2" and "Airdrawing 18"

This was a great resource. You place an order via paypal and he email's you a temporary web address and password from which you download the .zip file containing the drawings.

I used a program called "Imagemagick" to convert  and rescale the desired image ("B-1b.gif") into a pdf file that I took to a local Office Depot and had them print on one of their big architectural printers (48" x 36") for about $7.

Thank you kindly for that information.  I checked out the website.  Wow, what a lot of different aircraft listed on there.

Again thanks for the help!

• 1 year later...
On 2/8/2019 at 9:14 PM, checksix said:

On 2/9/2019 at 1:47 PM, crobinsonh said:

Fantastic build and information resource. One that at some point I plan on using. I have the 1/72nd B1 plus the Goffy cockpit set and all the Barracuda stuff. 

How did it go?  Is he flying Bones all over the world now?  Also, how much did you add to the wings?