Halcyon 1/9 Alien Figure

LSP_Kevin

How about painting the egg with a cream base and add very thin glazes (a little paint and lots of clear gloss medium) of brown, green, blue, etc. to build up a transparency of hues until it gives you the depth you want? Oils are perfect, but acrylics will let you finish in a reasonable amount of time.

HTH,

D.B.

28 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

How about painting the egg with a cream base and add very thin glazes (a little paint and lots of clear gloss medium) of brown, green, blue, etc. to build up a transparency of hues until it gives you the depth you want? Oils are perfect, but acrylics will let you finish in a reasonable amount of time.

HTH,

D.B.

Thanks for the tips, Damian - but I'm done with this one! Hopefully I can build some momentum now to finish a few other stalled builds, before tackling the Buchon conversion project.

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Nicely done. I am a huge Alien fan and here is a bit of trivia concerning your comment about the eggs appearance. H.R. Giger, the Swiss Artist who's designs were used for Alien, originally designed the egg with a single opening. The movie studio said it looked way too much like the anatomical reference you referenced. They made him alter the appearance and he added the other cross opening to make it look less 'human'.  Giger's paintings rely heavily on erotic images and there are plenty in Alien. As an example just take a look at the head of your model looking from the middle back to the end...... Hello!

Max Bryant 

Thanks, Max. Giger's mechanistic eroticism is well-known, and I'm sure his original design for the egg's opening was deliberate. I thought I had his Taschen book somewhere, but can only find the Escher one in my collection.

Kev

• 7 months later...
On 2/24/2019 at 2:02 PM, mightymax said:

Nicely done. I am a huge Alien fan and here is a bit of trivia concerning your comment about the eggs appearance. H.R. Giger, the Swiss Artist who's designs were used for Alien, originally designed the egg with a single opening. The movie studio said it looked way too much like the anatomical reference you referenced. They made him alter the appearance and he added the other cross opening to make it look less 'human'.  Giger's paintings rely heavily on erotic images and there are plenty in Alien. As an example just take a look at the head of your model looking from the middle back to the end...... Hello!

Max Bryant 

The openings on the alien derelict ship were made to look like Vagina's too.  

Kev, I have this kit, built it years ago.  I found the kit when we cleaned out the garage in late 2017 after mum passed.  Sadly, it's broken into several pieces now and I never sealed the paints with clear coat, so much dust has attached itself...it's grown furry lol!  Back then, I had no idea that you should seal your paint job with a clear coat.  

I used oils on the base too btw - I found them easier to get the colours that I wanted.