Halcyon 1/9 Alien Figure

LSP_Kevin

I wasn't originally intending to post this one until it was finished, if at all, but I find myself desperately needing to get moving again with some modelling, and wanting to get this one done and dusted. However, I'm also at a desperate loss as to how to finish it - especially the base.

OgNdTg.jpg

Here's what I've got so far (and bearing in mind that this was supposed to be a relaxing diversionary build!):

ZO0BdJ.jpg

The Alien figure is not attached to the base yet. I think I'm reasonably happy with the figure, though any suggestions for improvements will be happily considered, as I'm way outside my comfort zone here:

04qhVP.jpg

The base and egg, however, I have no idea what to do with:

Vw9O7q.jpg

It's had a bit of a rusty brown wash, and that's about it. They're supposed to be mostly black and dark tones anyway, so the challenge is to somehow make it more interesting and organic than it currently does. Again, suggestions happily entertained!

All I managed to do with the mouth of the egg is make it look like a vagina:

Gv8x5f.jpg

:huh:

Kev

I always wanted to do that kit, and the drop ship, and the APC, etc. 

BTW, you nearly made me spit my breakfast with the last comment! 

I think it looks quite good, and I've looked at quite a few of these built. The eggs kinda DID look like you-know-whats, so maybe you're not far off. Seems like I recall some green tones on the eggs, too? 

Thanks, fellas. I think I'm satisfied enough to leave the figure alone at this point, but will definitely do some more work on the egg and base. I think Tim's suggestion of more green tones for the egg is probably a good one. The top has had a bit of a drybrush with green (can't remember which colour), but the whole thing still seems too starkly black to me.

4 hours ago, rigor said:

Kev looks great. Dig it  if it was me. I would slap a gloss coat on it.  Give it that. Wet.  Look 

and also maybe some clear resin oozing out of the egg again that's me. And where did you get the kit 

Thanks, rigor. I was definitely planning to add some kind of ooze to the top once I was satisfied with the rest. The kit itself I got off eBay, IIRC. It's not a great kit by any means, with average fit and seams in awkward places. But it's injection-moulded plastic (as opposed to vinyl or resin), simple enough to put together, and looks the part.

Kev

Thanks, Shawn. I'm thinking of giving the egg and base a flat coat first, actually, because none of my typical approaches (drybrushing, washes, etc), work very well over the satin finish they currently have. Then gloss coat it after I'm done with those stages. Gotta remember where I put my airbrush, first!

Kev

HI Kev!

This is really a subject that really put the scare into me when I first watched it as a teen.  The base really looks like lava to me.  The egg...  ugh, still grosses me out all these years later...  I'd go for a leathery look.  Like a membrane that has thickened and toughened to protect the (yuck) inhabitant.

Good luck buddy!

Gaz

13 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Hhhmmmmm....... you did the figure without an airbrush? Really? That looks brilliant Kev!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks, Wolf! The base black on all elements is Mr. Black Surfacer 1500, straight out of the spray can. The figure was then dry-brushed with Mr. Metal Color Dark Iron, and few more highlights added with a 2B pencil, followed by a dirty black/brown wash. I hand-painted the teeth in off-white, but I think they look kind of goofy. Not going to fuss too much about them, but probably need to come up with something better for the finger and toe nails.

Kev

OK folks, after combining some of the advice here with elements of a finished build I found online that I liked, I've pushed ahead with this one, and am now happy to declare it finished! It's the first model of any kind that I've finished in about a year, so whatever the verdict on this one, I'm at least happy about that.

Anyway, on with the photos. Firstly, here's the base and egg without the figure, so that you can see the changes I've made since my initial post:

xjLJ5B.jpg

Basically, the whole thing was given a flat coat, and then washed and dry-brushed with a series of greens - the most effective of which turned out to be Interior Green! After that, I applied a heavy gloss coat to make everything glisten slightly. I'm really happy with the way this turned out, as I achieved my main goal of providing some interest to an otherwise all-black lump, while still preserving the dark, slimy effect.

I finished things off with some UV-curing gel in the opening:

zlCdDB.jpg

Ironically, the batteries in my UV pen light were flat, so I had to kickstart the curing process by taking it out into the hot sun. Seems to have done the job.

And now, the final diorama:

DXmkAp.jpg

9xGNGh.jpg

FYFZ5P.jpg

cpzWjC.jpg

8W6mOE.jpg

fHJQJV.jpg

I'm also really happy that I've managed to create dissimilar tonal effects on the figure and the base, so that the monotony of black is relieved to the greatest practical extent.

Thanks for tuning in!

Kev