British Airways Retro 747 Scheme

John1

• 4 weeks later...

The 707's and VC10's looked good in that scheme too.

VC10's with the "Cunard" logo and nice to see the "Speedbird" logo on the tail.

I also liked the 80's and early 90's scheme of grey uppers, dark blue lower with the nice red pinstripe through it.

I remember when they binned that for the lighter blue and white uppers which always looked dirty.

Edited by PhilB

First 747 I ever saw was a BOAC speedbird on the ground at Mehrabad Airport in Tehran. We were being bused to another plane and drove right by it.  I was awestruck.    Couldn’t believe something so big could get off the ground.   What a beautiful bird.  

8 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

What the heck were you doing at Mehrabad back then??

Lived there for 6 years as a very young kid. Pre-revolution, Iran hosted the largest US community outside of W Germany.  Had our own schools, football/baseball leagues etc.   50-50 mix of US military advisers and civilians.  My father worked for an engineering company, spent a good deal of time up north on various US funded projects.      Good memories to be honest.   

58 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Interesting. My first cousin went to Tehran American School. My uncle worked on Project Ibis.

Yup, TAS was my school!   Looking back, I wonder if my dad had any involvement with that project, he'd routinely  go away for a week or two up north, just said he was working near the Caspian Sea.  Most of our military friends were US Army, based out of Ft Devens, MA (which until it closed, was home to the US Army's intelligence school).  

It was a great place to live, until it wasn't.   :)

Edited by John1

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Yep, I'd say it's likely he was on Ibis.  Super spooky stuff.  Lots of CIA and NSA involvement.  My uncle was a former Russian linguist in the USAF and then went to work for NSA on Ibis, although his paycheck said Rockwell International (wink wink, nudge nudge).  

My cousin was Kathy Heilig at the time.

I'll check my old yearbooks for her.   We got out in late 76, by which time it was pretty apparent that bad things were about to happen.  It was pretty surreal seeing the news clips of the US Embassy compound (where we spent a great deal of time shopping, hanging out, etc) being overrun.   As a last ironic note - a few years back, I build an AH-6C Littlebird helicopter, based on info from one of the original TF160 pilots.  After the Desert One fiasco, he was on deck for a follow up rescue mission and mentioned that he would have been flying his helo into the same compound!  Sounded like he knew it as well as I did from all the pics he had studied.

Getting  back to the original topic, just saw that BA has another retro scheme coming up, I'm partial to BOAC but this one isn't too bad either!   Undersides of the wings will be painted red as well.   Might be some decal opportunities here!

britishairways_216862124532403-1024x709.

Edited by John1

One of my favourite BA schemes.

I was on my first "tour" at Heathrow in the late 80's when the first 400's arrived in those colours.

In those days BA used to also name aircraft and the 747-400's were named after UK cities.

The first was City of London, then Edinburgh, Cardiff and so on.

I seem to recall the 757's were named after famous castles.

:)