Sign in to follow this  
Jennings Heilig

Spraying Tamiya gloss colors?

Anyone had success thinning Tamiya gloss colors with lacquer thinner for spraying?  If not, what's your secret?  I'm not having great luck getting a nice smooth finish with the pure gloss colors.

Sure; use a large needle size (I use .5mm for this sort of thing) and thin with Mr. Color leveling thinner.

I have sprayed entire model car bodies with Tamiya "X" range gloss acrylics and gotten automotive smooth finishes, after polishing and what not...but you shouldn't have a rough paint coat out of the airbrush.

Yup, but I use Tamiya Lacquer Thinner (yellow cap) in a paint to thinner ratio of about 65/35%.  While Mr. Color might be just as good or maybe even better, I like to use Tamiya products with Tamiya products to ensure compatibility.  After 6 months in a jar it still sprays beautifully and there is no coagulation of the paint.  Here's an example of Gloss Black on my Spitfire build, although I've had similar results with other gloss colors.

0kaQst.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

I've actually used the Tamiya lacquers very little, but so far it gives me results that are just fine with me. Here's a paint dummy with the Tamiya gloss black lacquer and hardware store lacquer thinner, nothing fancy While I now have some leveling thinner, I've yet to try it.

HBov0o.jpg