Spotted Ass Ape HobbyBoss B-24 Assembly Ship

Wackyracer

On 2/8/2019 at 6:19 AM, Stormer said:

Looking forward to seeing this coming together.  Sadly I haven't the room for the HB big beast, but I did do the 389th's "Green Dragon" from the Monogram D some years ago.

An interesting link, but I'll take issue with a couple of points.  The author says " Hundreds of aircraft in numerous groups rose from dozens of airfields in several counties. "  Assembly ships were only used by the 2nd AD, the B-24 groups whose airfields were concentrated around the city of Norwich in Norfolk - just one county.  The B-17 groups in Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire mostly did not use assembly ships.  The second point was "Spotted Ass Ape" accompanied its group on a raid.  I stand to be corrected, but I heard that this was the assembly ship of the 453rd (Old Buckenham), flown by the Group Executive Officer, one Col James Stewart (yes, that James Stewart).

Please keep up the good work.

47 minutes ago, Wackyracer said:

Tomorrow I should be off to my first model show of the year

Peterborough by any chance?  If so, see you there, I'll be with Milton Keynes.

14 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Looking forward to seeing this coming together.  Sadly I haven't the room for the HB big beast, but I did do the 389th's "Green Dragon" from the Monogram D some years ago.

An interesting link, but I'll take issue with a couple of points.  The author says " Hundreds of aircraft in numerous groups rose from dozens of airfields in several counties. "  Assembly ships were only used by the 2nd AD, the B-24 groups whose airfields were concentrated around the city of Norwich in Norfolk - just one county.  The B-17 groups in Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire mostly did not use assembly ships.  The second point was "Spotted Ass Ape" accompanied its group on a raid.  I stand to be corrected, but I heard that this was the assembly ship of the 453rd (Old Buckenham), flown by the Group Executive Officer, one Col James Stewart (yes, that James Stewart).

Please keep up the good work.

Peterborough by any chance?  If so, see you there, I'll be with Milton Keynes.

Cool, ill pop by. IPMS Ipswich for me

On 3/2/2019 at 10:09 AM, Wackyracer said:

Cool, ill pop by. IPMS Ipswich for me

Well how about that, right next door to each other.  Good to meet you, and the rest of the guys from Ipswich.

That Lib is certainly a big beast!

On 3/2/2019 at 7:37 PM, Wackyracer said:

And both halves. No fit problems :rolleyes:

YE6YCGv.jpg

She's a beast when next to not such a little friend

So pleased to see the halves go together nicely.As mentioned before, it would appear that there are rumours of issues with the fuselage fit due to all the internal bulkheads.

I just received the DN masks for this variant from Mitko at DN Models. I am about to put up a review of the set on my You Tube channel, "Nigel's modelling bench", I have also shown how I corrected the prop blade length and have some other reviews up too. (I won't put a link here because all we'll get is a load of comments from people who don't like videos).

The IP set from Airscale is lovely isn't it? By the by, That was my kit parts that Peter used to make the set from and in his initial shots on the instruction card. I begged him to do it, sent him my insructions and parts, and the rest is history...

I am also doing some work on nose weight and where to put it. I think, if we slice up some sheet lead we can get about 180-200 grammes under the cockpit floor. I'm also thinking perhaps some more sheet lead in front of the bulkhead ahead of the IP? Have you done a mock up yet to see if 300 grammes is sufficient?

Looking forward to more progress on this build.

Edited by Nigels modelling bench

1 hour ago, Gloucester Nige said:

So pleased to see the halves go together nicely.As mentioned before, it would appear that there are rumours of issues with the fuselage fit due to all the internal bulkheads.

I just received the DN masks for this variant from Mitko at DN Models. I am about to put up a review of the set on my You Tube channel, "Nigel's modelling bench", I have also shown how I corrected the prop blade length and have some other reviews up too. (I won't put a link here because all we'll get is a load of comments from people who don't like videos).

The IP set from Airscale is lovely isn't it? By the by, That was my kit parts that Peter used to make the set from and in his initial shots on the instruction card. I begged him to do it, sent him my insructions and parts, and the rest is history...

I am also doing some work on nose weight and where to put it. I think, if we slice up some sheet lead we can get about 180-200 grammes under the cockpit floor. I'm also thinking perhaps some more sheet lead in front of the bulkhead ahead of the IP? Have you done a mock up yet to see if 300 grammes is sufficient?

Looking forward to more progress on this build.

Some good points there Nige....................and I dare say we might look back at this build to know for sure that the halves fit, and any issues with fit of the fuse on other builds, is likely down to the builder. 

IIRC, I asked a similar question awhile back in this thread, and it was indicated that 300g is recommended,  but no weight included, nor any indication of where it should go. 

After last weekends model show and subsequent emails hopefully should have a lighting set for the ape.

QlV8hdB.jpg

i5UacdX.jpg

Only had an hour at the bench this weekend so far so just spent it adding the kit internals.

6S6NwMP.jpg

Before anyone jumps in with negative comments I still have to finish cleaning the open position lugs and ep marks :mellow:

MZJncG3.jpg

Built the bomb aimers compartment and as with all the rest dry fit.

wJmjJpW.jpg

AbKBGJA.jpg

x3xPb5y.jpg

Another couple of hours adding more interior bits, but first I had to remove 2 pieces I had decided to glue d'oh

rzP1kg9.jpg

GdgvV6N.jpg

After the small hiccup all good. I realised the lights/leds/optics would be here and I needed to drill and mount these before placing internal parts in this area as I maybe able to hide these behind said parts.

9K3RQPx.jpg

F7bzjeC.jpg

uX8wV7B.jpg

HswF8Sy.jpg

Kh12Rqn.jpg

Finally need to find a rivet plan for the outside.

Did pick up the haynes B24 book which has lots of internal pics and info which will be very useful.

Honestly I dont even see that many ejector pin marks really. If one was so inclined, you may not even see those up there if one didnt want to fill them. Really not much room to see anything through the tiny square openings once things are closed up.    Im really glad things are fitting on the interior and that the fuselage fits well. Good news for sure.

Looking forward to more progress! 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to grab an hour at the bench. 

DzpJjSv.jpg

Assembled the tail section just because I needed to feel as if the build was moving. 

Then started on the airscale instrument panel.

qF18Ip4.jpg

I must say the fit and design is spot on.

X5ZDvRs.jpg

Need to get some paint down before long. Really enjoying the build but want to get it some textures and details down

JHPWe4h.jpg