1/32 Trumpeter Eurofighter Exhaust

Smokey

greetings all.  As the title says I am thinking of buying a Trumpeter Eurofighter.  Looking at probably doing a Great Britain one.  I was looking online and ran across Aires has two sets offered.  2118 is a late exhaust set and 2119 is a early exhaust set.  I have been all over the internet and can't find what the difference is between them.  The pictures of the sets on SB I can't tell what is the difference.  Can someone help me with a answer to my question.  Dan

As others have said, there's little discernible difference between the Aires sets.

In case there is, if you were doing an RAF Typhoon F2, say pre-2010-ish I'd use the early set. However all RAF Typhoon FGR4s with the ZK serial prefix have the most modern EJ2000 engines, and all those ex-F2s with ZJ serial prefixes that haven't been put out to grass were upgraded to tranche 5 standard and are indistinguishable from FGR4s.

About the only foreign Air Force who probably haven't upgraded are likely the Austrians who bought their dozen jets as no-frills (but still 4th gen.) interceptors.

While it's a bit more of a chore, the Revell Eurofighter results in a much better and more accurate looking model than the Trumpeter one.

17 hours ago, Smokey said:

Chek, the RAF Typhoon I want to do is a FGR4.  Xtradecal X32048 has a colorful one on it.

Dan

Whilst I'm no expert Dan, I do take an interest  in the Typhoon's evolution.

So I'd basically counsel that if you're preferred subject has the IR seeker mounted below the port windscreen (which it does) then it's been upgraded to tranche 5 standard and "later" engines are appropriate.

If you google 1/32 typhoon exhaust early on one page then open another doing the same for late.

The early exhaust on the inside of the feathers has horizontal ribs which the late one doesn’t.

The early exhaust in the photo has the upside down Y actuators which have some V “thing” that is inside the Y which the late doesn’t.

I’m not sure how much you will see when they’re constructed together.........

Steve.

The Aerocraft Models cast metal NLG strut is indispensible for the Revell Tiffie...

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/eurofighter-typhoon-nose-wheel-undercarriage-strut

Cold War Studio do some interesting inlet, stabilator area and canopy etch. 

The archille's heel of the Revell is the ghastly inlet. If I could find a dirt cheap Trumpeter I'd use the inlet parts from that spliced into/onto the Revell. Here's hoping some suitable CAD-designed resin appears!

Prefer the crimson tailed No.29 Sqn jet myself, which is also available from Xtradecal...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X32060

Tony

Edited by Tony T
the usual to-activate-link(s) rigmarole

Second Tony on the Aerocraft nose gear - it's a beautiful casting and totally eliminates any concern about the fragility of the plastic part. Even drilling and steel pinning the kit provided leg would need great precision, and even then might not match the Aerocraft part for strength.

The CWS etched intake splitter plate is also very highly recommended.