Bf 110E-3/trop 2.(H)/14 North Africa - almost done

Fanes

I found a pic of an early 110 that clearly shows a hole, its not hosted though.

PM me if you want me to send it to ya

The Monogram Close Up BF-110G cockpit diagram shows it as a hole as well!

Guess I will be drilling a hole and detailing mine down the road as well.

Edited by Shawn M

15 hours ago, Fanes said:

Thanks Mike!
One more thing came to my mind: if it's a hole, the levers and linkage behind should be visible - more scratch building!

Yep , I doubt anyone could get their head in a position to see inside that hole  :shrug:

It looks like an open access to what is probably a throttle tension adjustment.

fOwaM85.jpg

VCNcnF9.jpg

11 hours ago, Shawn M said:

I found a pic of an early 110 that clearly shows a hole, its not hosted though.

PM me if you want me to send it to ya

The Monogram Close Up BF-110G cockpit diagram shows it as a hole as well!

Guess I will be drilling a hole and detailing mine down the road as well. 

That together with Mike's pictures is enough proof for me!

Styrene strips added. I wasn't going for accuracy but more for a busy look.

575136-34859-87.jpg

Two very very tiny bits added. The valves on the right console. They consist of stretched sprue and copper wire with (hardly visible) blobs of PVA glue on the tips.

They're not perfect but that's the best I could do:

575134-34859-48.jpg

Quick and easy was the installation of the HGW rudder pedals with their straps from Tamiya tape.

575135-34859-40.jpg

Afterwards I was in the mood to do some more fiddly stuff. I started with the camera auxillary units.

First up the motor for the camera. It has two functions. First: Tillting the camera via a flexible shaft (like those for the dremel) and second there's a compressor on the other end which powers (at least I think so) the film transfer and shutter. Luckily this motor is included in the AIMS set.

I made the flexible shaft with some wire and a very thin strip of Tamiya tape wrapped around it. The pressure hose consist of  0.3mm steel wire (maybe too stiff) and 0.2mm copper wire. Two wires were added, too. I'll show more pictures of the original when I build the other auxillary units.

575137-34859-21.jpg

So far thanks a lot for the discussion,comments and pictures guys. You are amazing!

On 2/12/2019 at 11:06 AM, mozart said:

It's giving me itchy fingers for starting my Bf110F build, but that's "officially" not on the agenda yet! 

Go for it - the more the merrier!

Only a small update today - I've been busy the last days.

First the promised picture of the auxillary stuff:

576109-34859-23.jpg

Although there's no explanation for the parts in the Aufklärer Vol.1 book, I managed to find most of them in Vol.2 (free to read on scribd) for a Fw 189. The big things are the "Bildfolgeregler" (k) - I guess it translates into frame rate controller and the "Ueberdeckunsregler" (c)  - controls the overlay of the pictures. The latter needs an opening/window in the floor which is included in the drawings from page 1. The wiring of the frame rate controller is a bit of a mystery though. One of the two goes to the camera motor (that's easy and included on other pictures) but the second one is linked to the IP. I have no clue about that since it's not present on the Fw 189 drawing.

I got news from my camera mount. A friend of mine at university tried printing it via fused filament. Emphasis on tried but see for your self:

576110-34859-78.jpg

Altough the detail looks good there's a problem with the wall thickness. It's below 0.8mm which makes removing the support structure with a water-jet nearly impossible.
Removing the supports (without damaging the part) with a sharp blade, sprue cutters and other tools didn't work either.
Next try will be with stereolithography - fingers crossed!

While waiting for the next 3D print, I turned my attention to the wings.

I started with the starboard wheel well to get the position for the engine cowling. First I tried to dry fit the cowling parts without the engine underneath.

The result was briefly said a disaster. So, some engine essentials and I ended up here:

576419-34859-94.jpg

With some force the upper cowling will fit better but the side panels still require some twaeking. The lower cowl needed some sanding to get a somewhat decent fit.

Taking of the lower cowl - thanks again to @Shawn M for the Trop parts - especially the enlarged radiators and the dust filters!

Assembly of the wheel well went straight foward, since I completely ignored the instructins and went with the images from the builds here on LSP!

Same applies for the landing gear which still needs its brake line.

576422-34859-10.jpg

If I find enough patience to seal the cowling, I'll be pleased to do the same stuff on the port wing. F*** you Dragon and your worthless instruction sheet!