Bf 110E-3/trop 2.(H)/14 North Africa - almost done

Fanes

I'm not entirely sure on the interior colour. Since I want to depict 5F+YK, there is a little problem of which airframe exactly wore that code. There's one in overall RLM78/79 (W.Nr. 2408) which was photgraphed in 1942. I guess the cockpit would have been RLM02?
Then there seems to be another airframe in RLM78/79/80 (W.Nr.3454) without a particular date on the photo, but I guess it should have a RLM66 cockpit.
The closer I look, the more confusing it gets!

Well, aircraft get moved around, reassigned, shot down and codes get reused, so I guess it's not too unusual to find two different airframes with the same code. 5F+YK was also worn by a Fi 156, for instance. Maybe you could start a shelf dedicated to that one code :)

2 hours ago, Sepp said:

Maybe you could start a shelf dedicated to that one code

Indeed a build of a Storch in desert scheme is on my list! I've seen pictures of the Fi 156 as 5F+YK before, but thanks for the reminder.
This Storch wore the markings in 1941, the Bf 110 W.Nr.2408 (previous 2.F/123) wore it in 1942 which leaves only a later date for W.Nr.3454.

I really like the RLM78/79/80 scheme on a Bf 110, but on the other hand there are builds of a Bf 109F-4 and Fw 190F-8 painted RLM79/80 in the pipeline, too.

The interior colour question is delayed until my camera frame arrives!

SInce I needed a little break from painting my smalls cale 109, I revisited the cockpit.

The instrument panel looks quite nice, but painting the instruments itself may be quite fiddly. I don't think that decals will work on the raised details.
Compared to the pictures in John Vasco's book the kit panel seems nearly complete. Two little things are missing: the Revi power plug (will be added together with the Quickboost Revi 12) and the two small lamps above the IP.

574317-34859-76.jpg

On to the left side of the cockpit:

Pretty sparse! The distinctive map case (n.11 in the picture), the rivets on the c shaped profile and again the lamp (n.3) are missing. But worst of all:
The wing root opening will be visible after closing up everything.

574316-34859-80.jpg

The right side of the cockpit recieved more attention from the Dragon designers. There's just some small stuff on the console missing. Another small glitch: the opening for the pipe/cable from the oxygen regulator (right of n.3) is in the wrong place. Nothing too hard to fix, except the valves (?) marked as n.9 in the picture. I have no idea how to scratch those!

574318-34859-72.jpg

So I put some elbow grease, lots of swearing and searching for small parts in and here's the result so far:

574321-34859-60.jpg

Looking at the picture I realized that the map case needs some attention and the lightening hole in the left console some cleanup.

Still thinking about the two small valves (or whatever those are)..

Since I had my favourite copper wire out, I went on adding cables to the rear cockpit.

574319-34859-44.jpg

The instrument housings aren't perfect but they won't be visible since a cover will be added later on.

574320-34859-52.jpg

The rightmost instrument was faired over because it represents a shot counter for the MG FF not necessary for a recon bird.

Thats's it for today.

Joachim

35 minutes ago, Shawn M said:

the hole in your throttle quadrant is actually a stamped depression or maybe a cover.

That said, nice work in there!

Do you have a clear picture from  the side?
I didn't find any and went with the impression from the first picture in my post where it looks like a hole.

Closing the hole from behind shouldn't be a big problem either!

19 minutes ago, mozart said:

I hope this is all just dry fitted......if not I don't envy you having to paint it!! Super work Joachim. 

That would be a mess :D - so far everything except the right console is just dry fitted. I gently ripped of the throttle quadrant to ease up painting.

thats a very unique photo, notice the floor board is missing, early style rudder pedals and the yoke boot is also missing.

I will try to find a pic for you if you'd like, the above clearly shows a hole so either way could be right!

Yet another '110 mystery

Edited by Shawn M

44 minutes ago, Shawn M said:

thats a very unique photo, notice the floor board is missing, early style rudder pedals and the yoke boot is also missing.

I will try to find a pic for you if you'd like, the above clearly shows a hole so either way could be right!

Yet another '110 mystery

You're absolutely right about the uniqueness of the photo. The numbering of the parts in Mike's picture makes it likely to be from W.Nr.2831, too.

This particular 110 (a C-1) was shot down by swiss Bf 109s in 1940 and was inspected by their authorieties. This would justify the missing yoke boot, cockpit floor and of course an inspection panel (?) on the throttle quadrant.

So a picture from another plane is highly welcome to clear this matter!