Bf 110E-3/trop 2.(H)/14 North Africa - almost done

Fanes

15 hours ago, Antonio Argudo said:

looking really good Joachim, love your weathering techniques!  you might find this pic quite interesting, cheers!

Antonio 

cac42844b1418e8996b05da61cf50be2.jpg

Thanks for the photo Antonio. I've seen that one before but just in a crappy resolution.

That's one filthy port wing and the chipping near the wing root looks like an underlying camo?

• 2 weeks later...

One step closer to the finish line - panel line wash applied!

The upper surfaces recieved a mixture of umber, burnt umber and dark brown oils to highlight the engraved detail.

708419-34859-51.jpg

Well you have to look closely since I wanted to keep the effect subtle. I'm not a big fan of black trenches - ehm panel lines.
708418-34859-85.jpg

That's it with the good news, now onto the bad:
I somehow misplaced the antenna mast. Even after searching my entire workplace for about one hour it remains lost.

I bet as soon as I have my replacement painted up it'll reappear from its hiding!:BANGHEAD2:

Edited by Fanes

5 hours ago, AlbertD said:

You sure do some nice work. That lost part will show up as soon as you finish making a replacement. It's happened to me a couple of times.

1 hour ago, Kahunaminor said:

Forget about the antenna mast entirely. Look for a part, any other part and concentrate on finding that part alone. The antenna mast will feel neglected and magically appear!

Great work so far.

Replacement part ordered from Revell - wiating for the magic to happen :D

Maybe searching for all the undercarriage parts might tickle the antenna mast?

Well the mast hasn't reappeared so far but there's still hope!
Meanwhile the underside recieved its panel line wash (grey/green/blue oils). As before I kept it restrained.

712680-34859-19.jpg

The upperside was then covered with a flat coat (50% matte and 50% ultra matte from AK). This way the finish isn't dead flat and keeps a light sheen which will be enhanced with some polishing in certain areas later on. Well I couldn't resist to put the main undercarriage and the props in place:

712677-34859-18.jpg

712679-34859-91.jpg

The wheels were covered with pigments but more on that later on.

That's it so far - maybe I'll get the beast finished this year :D

4 hours ago, mozart said:

Crack on then Joachim, only 10 months left! I so admire your vision in knowing where you are going with all your weathering, far beyond my ken! 

Max - if I only had a clear vision of how the wheatering will look like in the end.
I have to admit that there's a lot of trial and error going on right now!

6 hours ago, CZPetrP said:

WOW. The weathered surface is great.You sprayed it over masks? I mean weathering.

Thank you.

Petr

Petr - can you rephrase that?
I'm not sure which particular step you're interested in.

11 hours ago, CZPetrP said:

I am sorry. I mean those spots-sand, dust...and grime. Of course on the surface.

Thanks.

Petr

That was my guess :D

The splotchy finish mostly results from salt fading (there's a good how-to over Doog's website) and from a small mishap with said technique.

The dark spots were caused by the paint used for fading eating through the previous layers.

Hope that helps

Joachim

Final wheatering stage

I had one day completely dedicated to modelling yesterday and I can show you some progress (beaware: many pictures incoming).

I started with the wheels. They recieved some MIG pigments which were blended with mineral spirit.

And the outcome was....meh

715959-34859-92.jpg

Those pigments worked fine as long as there was a tread but the smooth tyre looks weird.

Tamiya buff to the rescue!

715960-34859-85.jpg

Not 100% satisfied but a lot better than before.

Onto the fuselage and wings.

I wanted to do some subtle chipping (it's not a Spitfire afterall) where the crew would regularily stress the paint.

That would be the handholds, the wingroot and the port rear canopy opening:

715964-34859-31.jpg

And of course some panels on the wing especially around the oil and fuel ports. I used silver oil paint from Ammo and I'm quite happy with the result. Definitely more control than with acrylic paint and a sponge!

715965-34859-72.jpg

The picture above brings me to the next part: fuel and oil stans/leaks. I added a dark filter using oils (umber and van-dyck-brown) to add a filthy shade followed by small hand painted streaks. The drop tanks saw some heavy wheatering - maybe not a 100% accurate but an eyecatcher nonetheless.

715967-34859-18.jpg

Speaking of fuel and combustion - the Messerschmitt's DB engines aren't known for a clean exhaust gas (comparable to nowadays Volkswagen :D)

Therefore I went quite heavy and added more paint then usually. Using MRPs premixed paint for the first time, I have to say that I'm impressed. Nice flat apperance and for my taste a good ratio of thinner/clear/pigments and the colour comes close to my usual self mixed paint. The area close to the exhausts and their tips recieved some soot pigments for the extra dirty appearence!

715962-34859-71.jpg

Afterwards I started pulling the masks and adding the small stuff and here we are:

715966-34859-56.jpg

I'll start adding the antenna wires after the dreaded antenna mast is rebuilt.

Maybe I can shoot the RFI pictures next weekend - stay tuned!