Bf 110E-3/trop 2.(H)/14 North Africa - almost done

Fanes

Back from work - here are the promised picture of the assembly:

The fuselage went together quite quickly but fit wasn't perfect.

622729-34859-67.jpg

The horizontal stabilizer needed little shims - 0.2mm on the upper side and 0.4mm on the lower one - to get a decent fit. The intersection at the rear (not a panel line) still needs some filler.

622727-34859-48.jpg

The fit of the rear cockpit cover (without comments):

622728-34859-25.jpg

Then there's some good news - the camera window recieved its clear part and so did the coverage regulator.
Beforehand there was some filling (after the black guide coat) necessary and when the PVA glue from the clear parts is hard enough, the whole section will get polished.

622730-34859-30.jpg

I'll spend the next days cleaning up all the joints and panel lines on the fuselage.

9 hours ago, mozart said:

All rather standard poorly fitting areas in my experience to date Joachim.  I’ve always struggled with that belly section too....be warned!

I did some dry fitting on the belly after my post and oh boy - it's really bad.
A small misalignment will lead to huge gaps on the wing's underside. I hoped to be able to attach the wings after painting.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:33 AM, Fanes said:

Back from work - here are the promised picture of the assembly:

The fuselage went together quite quickly but fit wasn't perfect.

622729-34859-67.jpg

The horizontal stabilizer needed little shims - 0.2mm on the upper side and 0.4mm on the lower one - to get a decent fit. The intersection at the rear (not a panel line) still needs some filler.

622727-34859-48.jpg

The fit of the rear cockpit cover (without comments):

622728-34859-25.jpg

Then there's some good news - the camera window recieved its clear part and so did the coverage regulator.
Beforehand there was some filling (after the black guide coat) necessary and when the PVA glue from the clear parts is hard enough, the whole section will get polished.

622730-34859-30.jpg

I'll spend the next days cleaning up all the joints and panel lines on the fuselage.

Hi Joachim
Great work on your Bf110, having built one my self I'm aware of the pitfalls of the kit, but it does build into an awesome looking aircraft!!
As said before, good luck with the belly section, that's probably where I used the most filler and expletives!
Just a note about the horizontal stabilizer where you have inserted that top shim - where it meets the fuselage on the spine - the 110's horizontal stab was slaved to the flaps, so that when the flaps were lowered/raised an air-driven screw jack would raise or lower the horizontal stab (adjust the angle of incidence) - very much like some modern jets. So, there is supposed to be a slight gap where you have inserted that shim.
Good work, looking to see this one completed. I still have another 4 to go!!!

Regards

Iain

57 minutes ago, mozart said:

"So, there is supposed to be a slight gap where you have inserted that shim."

Yes, but note this area on Hendon's G4:

lPYTDn.jpg

That 110 at Hendon is such a beautiful machine!
The gap is visible as that light line that runs from left to right, however, it appears damage to the metal sheet on the left makes it appear as if there is no room for the horizontal stab to move? The right side appears to show a correctly faired end.

42 minutes ago, mozart said:

A slightly better angle perhaps, this from the Squadron/Signal walk around book whereas the previous one was my own photograph.

phXLqq.jpg

Brilliant, thanks!!

Thanks for the pictures and the discussion guys.
I'm aware of the way the horizintal stabilizer works. My plan was/is to fill the gap with the shim and engrave a line afterwards.
To my eye the gap just seemed to be way too big.

Really nice progress Joachim!

I kept reading yours and Max's comments about the belly panel not fitting as I couldn't recall any such issues on my build. I went through my pics and found that I had shimmed the lower insert panel. 

IMG_20190113_143326-L.jpg

This got rid of the step on either side at the wing root and the nose ended up fitting better too.