Bf 110E-3/trop 2.(H)/14 North Africa - almost done

Fanes

Detail painting in the cockpit is 90% complete (right hand console):

602237-34859-19.jpg

The instrument panel was quite a struggle. The raised indices on the dials are really hard to paint. I laid down a white based followed by numerous ultra thin black coats (like a wash) to leave the raised areas white. Well in theory...

602238-34859-66.jpg

I do prefer dials without raised details and individual decals for them!

Enough of the ultra close ups - let's get to the dry fit of the cockpit in the fuselage:

602236-34859-75.jpg

602239-34859-24.jpg

602240-34859-73.jpg

When the last bits are done (probably tomorrow) I'll add a gloss coat, placards, washing, chipping and then I can finally close the fuselage for good!

One quick shot from the bench:

605469-34859-43.jpg

I put the cockpit placards into place. They're all from MDC. The ones on the radio equipment are in 1/48, since there was no way to get the 1/32 ones in place.
The Mr. Mark Softer will hopefully do it's magic work and all the decals wills ttle properly without silvering.

I'm considering to put the MDC instrument dials on the IP because I'm really not happy with my painting.
What do you guays think?

Well I'll leave it as it is right now. A small test with a MDC decal on the clock (right beneath the Revi) wasn't convincing for me.

The decal looks great - way better than what I've achieved but the Dragon dials are just a tad bigger than the decals.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally painted the gloss coat on!
After a liberal amount of time (read 5 days) I got to start the washing.

I'm in general a huge fan of this technique but I think it's usually overdone. My wash for the ockpit were in fact three different one for the different surfaces (RLM02, bluegrey and RLM66).

The RLM02 wash basically consists of raw umber, blue and some white which were mixed to look exactly like the RLM02. A small amount of black in the mix ensured a nice emphasis on the details.

612112-34859-74.jpg

As you can see - the effect isn't overly prominent. The wires on the left sidewall were cleaned up after the photo!

612111-34859-91.jpg

I'll apply a flat coat to seal everythin up later on. With some chipping and the construction of the HGW seatbelts (may take some time - it's a first time for me) the cockpit will soon be ready to be installed!

Thanks for watching

Joachim

Thanks a lot guys - you're really keeping me motivated!
I fiddled with the seatbelts yesterday evening and I'm still not finished. I'll shoot some pictrues later today.